Sunday 30 June 2024

Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus. – Hebrews 10:19

Today's Scripture Reading (June 30, 2024): Hebrews 10

One of the most significant images coming out of the crucifixion of Jesus, for me, was actually not Jesus on the cross. It is an image that arises out of something that happened at the Temple at the same time as the death of Jesus. Matthew describes the event this way. "And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom" (Matthew 27:50-51). The significance is that this Temple curtain was the one that divided the Temple proper with the Holy of Holies. The Holy of Holies was where traditionally the Ark of the Covenant would have sat, although, at his time in history, the Ark of the Covenant had long been missing. But it was still the place considered to be God's residence.

I love the song "Take Me In"

Take me past the outer courts
Into the Holy Place
Past the brazen altar
Lord I want to see your face
Pass me by the crowds of people
And the Priests who sing your praise
I hunger and thirst for your righteousness
But it's only found in one place.

Take me into the holy of holies
Take me in by the blood of the lamb
Take me into the holy of holies
Take the coal, touch my lips, here I am (Dave Browning)

But here is the reality; throughout Israel's history, only the High Priest could enter the Holy of Holies, and he could only enter it on the Day of Atonement. It was such a significant moment that a cord was tied around the ankle of the High Priest because if, for some reason, the High Priest died or was incapacitated while he was in the Holy of Holies, no one could go in to bring him out. The cord meant the High Priest could be pulled out of the Most Holy Place. But on the day Jesus died, Matthew, Mark, and Luke all reported that the temple curtain, the partition between the main Temple and the Holy of Holies, was torn in two.

The author of Hebrews supplies us with the meaning that stems from this torn Temple curtain. Now, we can all be taken into God's most holy place. We don't need priests to intercede on our behalf anymore. Because Jesus died on the cross, taking care of our sins, we can all approach the Most Holy Place "with confidence."

I love those words in Hebrews. We don't just come to the Holy of Holies. We have the confidence to enter the Most Holy Place (Hebrews 10:19). We go because we belong.

I have a new appreciation for my Hindu neighbors because, a few years ago, I attended a service with them. They were friendly; they tried to speak a little in my language and explain what was happening in the various parts of the service, but the reality was that I didn't belong there. I enjoyed going to the Jewish synagogue downtown. They were very welcoming when I attended, but I don't belong.

The message of Hebrews is that because the curtain was torn, everyone belongs in the Holy of Holies. We can all sing "Take Me In." Some people get really nervous when they enter a church, but through the blood of Christ, the barriers have been demolished, the curtain is gone, and the Christian Church has become a place of belonging for everyone. Any church that puts up walls regarding who can come in has some rethinking to do.

This was new for the Hebrews who would have first read these words. This wasn't the way that it had always been. It was a New Path to God that came to us through Jesus instead of a human intercessory.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Hebrews 11

No comments:

Post a Comment