Monday 17 June 2024

Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. – 2 Timothy 4:2

Today's Scripture Reading (June 17, 2024): 2 Timothy 4

Outside my window, the weather seems to be improving. Summer is coming, but I know it will pass much too quickly. I have to admit that this is my favorite season of the year. I love to be able to sit in the sun on my deck and read. Or to find a beach and read there. (I know, there seems to be a theme here: the idea of sitting somewhere with a book.)

Where I live, there are many descriptions of the seasons. The description I like the most is that I live in an area with four seasons. Those seasons are almost winter, winter, still winter, and summer. Probably the most accurate description of the seasons is that I live in a place with only two seasons: winter and construction. Construction is an ever-present reality in a place where crews rush to get things done in the short time that the weather is appropriate for the job.

There is an old story about a Church of England priest who got saved while pastoring an Anglican Church. When Jesus changed his life, he started to preach the Gospel to his church to the point that they all got saved. Then, he began to preach the Gospel in neighboring areas, and the pastors of the Anglican Churches in those neighboring areas were offended. And so they went to the Bishop in charge of the area and demanded that he stop the rogue priest. When the Bishop confronted the preaching pastor, the Bishop said, "I hear you are always preaching, and you don't seem to be doing anything else." The Anglican pastor replied, "Well, Bishop, I only preach during two seasons of the year." The Bishop said, "I'm glad to hear that; so, in what seasons do you preach?" The Anglican Pastor answered, "In season and out of season!"

Timothy is a pastor under Paul's charge. And he reminds the pastor that he should be ready to preach the Gospel at all times or in all seasons. A phrase is shared among pastors that we should be prepared to "Preach, Pray, or Die" at all times. A pastor friend once commented to me that if it were a choice, he would rather die. And I understand his reaction. However, the intent of Paul's instructions is that the Gospel of Jesus should never be far from our minds. And we should always be ready to share our hope for the future.

But the message isn't just for pastors. We all preach. Sometimes, we use words, but most of the time, we preach our theology by how we live and being Christ to everyone we meet. The people who surround us in what is quickly becoming a post-Christian culture will know what Christianity is by the way that we live our lives. We are the only Bible they will ever read. And we must remember that, regardless of whether we are in church, out on a night on the town, or watching a football game with friends. In every season, we are Christ to a world that desperately needs to know him.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Peter 1

No comments:

Post a Comment