Sunday 16 June 2024

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it. – 2 Timothy 3:14

Today's Scripture Reading (June 16, 2024): 2 Timothy 3

One of the biggest dangers with internet and T.V. preaching is that we don't know those from whom we are learning. I am convinced that this is why we are commanded to gather in local churches to learn from those we know and someone we have learned through experience to trust. None of us are perfect; we all need to be held accountable, including our very human Pastors and leaders.

We have all had human teachers, people with whom we have had interactions, and they have taught us in various ways. For most of us, that teaching often started with Mom and Dad or Grandma and Grandpa. They taught us that God loves us and showed us how to return that love. And it went from there.

I have sat under the teachings of wise pastors. I have to admit that I haven't accepted everything I have been taught, but these teachings became the starting point for my faith journey. Through these teachers, tradition finds its role as we struggle to understand the faith.

Tradition is probably the most challenging factor of faith to see and understand. And often, we give our traditions long and unmanageable names to make it even harder. I am a proud Baptist but grew up in the Church of the Nazarene. I have even pastored in the Church of the Nazarene. When I was at one church, I heard a story in which one of my congregation members was asked what church they attended. He answered that he and his wife attended the First Baptist Church of the Nazarene. Apparently, even then, I was confusing. Being raised in the Church of the Nazarene means that I was raised as a Wesleyan–Arminian, and the names are taken from John Wesley and Jacob Arminius. Arminianism is a response to Calvinism and, especially, the Calvinist belief in predestination. Jacob Arminius believed that all are called or predestined to Christ. But not all accept that predestination. With Calvinism, only some are predestined to be Christians, and only some will make it to heaven. But according to Calvin, If you are predestined, you have no choice because God's grace is irresistible. For Arminius, grace is resistible.

Wesleyan means that I am part of the Holiness movement. And the Holiness movement believes that there is a second work of grace. Christianity starts with an act of grace that brings you into the kingdom and life with Christ, but God is not finished with you yet. You are a Christian, but often you are a Christian without power. There is another moment when you come to a place where you kneel before a holy God and say, "All of you for all of me." I am done fooling around. God, I want everything you have for me, and to get it, I am willing to give up everything that is of me." This moment comes at some point after you have become a Christian.

A few years ago, someone asked me what tribe I belonged to, and I told him that I was a Wesley-Arminian. The question that came back was, "Is that even scriptural?" And my answer was Yes. However, these traditions become the glasses through which we interpret the Bible. So, when I say that I believe the Bible talks about a tangible love, some of that is because I have put on my Wesleyan-Arminian glasses. I am convinced that the Bible is progressive, that the complete revelation of God does not happen until Jesus in the New Testament. Jesus is love, and he is the complete revelation of God. And so, when there is hate mentioned in the Tanakh or Old Testament, I am okay with that because, in the Old Testament, we didn't have the entire revelation of Jesus yet.

But I also know that sometimes love looks like hate, and if you are a parent, you know this. How many times have you grounded your child or denied some request, and their response has been, "You hate me." You won't let me touch that hot burner, you won't let me run out into traffic, so you must hate me. But my glasses, the tradition in which I was raised and learned to trust, says that God is love. I believe God acts in love. Love is more central to the image of God than even his omnipotent power. These glasses have been crafted through my interaction with pastors and teachers I have spent time with and who I trust. As a result, I see love when I read the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation.

And I have to admit that I don't want to trade my glasses. I have tried Calvinist glasses on, and they don't fit my face. For me, love is central, and it is essential to my theology [what we say about God] because of the teaching I have received from various human teachers I have known.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 4

No comments:

Post a Comment