Monday 3 June 2024

I would have liked to keep him with me so that he could take your place in helping me while I am in chains for the gospel. But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do would not seem forced but would be voluntary. - Philemon 1:13-14

Today's Scripture Reading (June 3, 2024):  Philemon 1

A few weeks ago, a friend passed through our area, and we were able to share lunch and talk. (Yes, Steve, I am talking about you.) Steve was a college roommate and an excellent friend at a vulnerable time of my life. I have to admit that I have a lot of great memories of the time we spent together, including performing "Who's on First" at a college banquet. However, after our time at school ended, Steve went home to the Left Coast, and I left for my home on the range (prairies.) I miss Steve and several other friends who sometimes seem so far away. I wish we could spend more time together, but that is not our reality. And so, I celebrate the times we can get together and add to our shared memories.

There are many other friends that I have had in my life that I miss. An associate of mine once remarked that when she left a place, she left the people and never thought about them again. Sometimes, I wish that I was more like her. At times, my mind seems to be obsessed with people that now exist only in my past. I am so grateful for the time we have had together and the difference that they made in my life.

Paul's letter to Philemon concerns the fate of one of Philemon's runaway slaves, Onesimus. Onesimus had become a Christian and developed a relationship with the Apostle to the Gentiles. And Paul would have liked to have kept Onesimus with him. The relationship between Paul and Onesimus had progressed to the point where it would hurt Paul to give him up. Paul was in prison, and Onesimus had become valuable to Paul. Not only did the slave become a friend, but he could also go places where Paul could not go because he was confined. It is likely that Onesimus had collected food to feed Paul and had taken care of Paul's needs, something that Paul could not do for himself. Paul would greatly miss Onesimus when he left.

However, Onesimus belonged to Philemon, and Onesimus was still a slave. Slavery in the Greco-Roman world was not always based on race. It was also economically based. In other words, there was an economic portion of slavery that went beyond just inexpensive labor. Maybe one of the most common forms of slavery was debt slavery. Someone owed money but could not repay the loan. And so, they entered an arrangement where they would work as an enslaved person until the loan was retired. This arrangement could be sold to other people. Onesimus likely either owed Philemon money, or he owed someone else money and had entered into a slave arrangement with that person, and Philemon had purchased the contract. Either way, Onesimus belonged to Philemon. And so, even though it would cost Paul something, and the reality is that Paul could probably command Philemon to allow Onesimus to stay in Rome with him, he knew that the right thing was to return Onesimus to his owner. Then, Philemon could do whatever he felt was right with his slave.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Timothy 1 & 2

No comments:

Post a Comment