Saturday 1 June 2024

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. – Colossians 3:13

Today's Scripture Reading (June 1, 2024):  Colossians 3

Wolves tend to be pack hunters. They travel together. But if you encounter a wolf in the woods, the best advice I can give you is to stand your ground. Wolves tend to like to kill whatever runs away from them. And if the wolf is alone, it will usually run away from you. But if the wolf is standing its ground against you, you can be sure that the wolf isn't alone. You may not be able to see them or hear them; wolves are stealthy hunters, but the wolf pack is all around you.

In the church, we call the wolf pack by another name: community. And we are designed for it. A solitary Christian is a vulnerable Christian. That is why we gather on Sundays. It is why we believe in small groups. It is why we hold game nights and hog dog roasts. This is why we gather for task groups like the worship team and clean-up days. It isn't just about the job. We are meant to be a pack because leaving our day-to-day hurts and injuries behind isn't easy.

Paul instructs the Colossians that the pack is essential. He tells them to bear with each other. It is a fascinating concept. Paul is saying that we need to learn to put up with the idiosyncrasies of the other. We don't have to agree; we must bear with each other because we are a pack.

Paul tells the Colossians that they should forgive each other. One of the responses I often hear is that someone hasn't asked for forgiveness. But asking for forgiveness has never been made a requirement for forgiving someone. The Bible teaches us to forgive them anyway, even if they haven't asked. Be free with your forgiveness. Just give it away. There have been several moments when I knew someone was mad at me, but I didn't understand why. There have also been times when someone was angry at me because of a grievance they had against me, and I was blissfully unaware.

The truth we miss about forgiveness is that it is a selfish act. If I forgive you for something you have done, I am essentially letting myself off the hook for things that have caused me harm. I am getting rid of my guilt and my hurt. I no longer have to relive the offensive moment because I am letting it go. I know that forgiveness is not easy to give away, but it is a healthy response and well worth the effort.

But Paul goes one step further. He tells the Colossians to forgive as Jesus forgave them. Jesus went first; he wiped out our guilt, and he did it all before we even knew he existed. All we had to do was to turn around and accept that forgiveness. It is a reality that the Christian Church was expected to replicate in the world.

We are the body of Christ, the wolfpack, which means we should be the center of forgiveness in the world, regardless of who might need it. 

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Colossians 4

No comments:

Post a Comment