Tuesday 6 December 2022

You who dwell in the gardens with friends in attendance, let me hear your voice! – Song of Songs 8:13

Today's Scripture Reading (December 6, 2022): Song of Songs 8

There is an old joke about a married couple approaching their fiftieth anniversary. And one evening, when the pair were alone, the wife asked her husband a question. "Do you love me?" According to the story, the husband pauses as he gathers his thoughts and then carefully answers his wife's question. "I told you I loved you when we got married fifty years ago, and I will tell you if I change my mind." The tragedy of the story is that I know some people struggle with saying the words "I love you." And yet, those are precisely the words that many of us need to hear, especially those closest to us.

Dr. Jeff Schloss believes that husbands and wives must sincerely speak the words "I love you" to their spouses. Schloss insists that "wives who do not have the confidence that they are loved and cherished by their husband in fact die sooner, and they die sooner than single women." And according to Schloss, this is a reality regardless of the culture in which we have been raised. We need to hear from our significant others that we are loved.

It is something that I try to do. I don't want anyone close to me to wonder if they are loved. I tell my wife, kids, grandkids, and even friends that I love them as often as possible. I never want to leave the presence of someone without them knowing that fact. And I have been telling my grandkids that I love them every time I have left them since they were babies. And I often tell them that when life gets rough, that is the one thing that I don't want them to doubt. Grandpa loves them, and regardless of what is going on in their lives, I will still love them and be there for them.

As the Song of Songs draws to a close, we get invited into one of the couple's most private moments. The two are together, and their voices have been lowered to a whisper. They have been vocal with each other about the erotic treasure each of them possesses for the other, but at this moment, all they want is to hear the voice of the other speaking the important truths of the moment. Here, they express their love and anything else that needs to be communicated at this moment. Here they speak those three words which some seem to struggle to say; I love you. And I don't ever want you to doubt that, so let me keep saying the words so you can hear them. 

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Kings 10

No comments:

Post a Comment