Monday 19 December 2022

Do not revile the king even in your thoughts, or curse the rich in your bedroom, because a bird in the sky may carry your words, and a bird on the wing may report what you say. – Ecclesiastes 10:20

Today's Scripture Reading (December 19, 2022): Ecclesiastes 10

One of the phrases that I don't like to hear is when people tell me that "they just wrote it down on their 'Private Facebook Page.'" Often my reply is that there is nothing private about Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Truth Social, or any other social media you might use. There is also nothing private about emails or text messages. You lose control of your words as soon as you write something down and send it to someone, and now those words can be shared with anyone. What we write down on social media and even in private messaging is often the evidence that can be used against us in the court of life.

One of the things we should all note with those being tried for crimes committed against the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021, is that some of the evidence against the accused are the words they communicated to others through social media or other messaging sites. More and more, emails are being subpoenaed and granted access to by those trying to convict people of crimes. Do not write it down if you don't want someone to know that information. I would also caution you not to say anything to anyone because as soon as you say it or write it down, you lose control of the information, and now that secret can be used against you.

The same goes for this or any other blog. I am very aware that what I say here can be used against me. And every time I write something down, I must be mindful that the information can be used against me. And it has been used against me. I have been criticized for my view on women's leadership in the church because of the things written here. And I need to be okay with the criticism if I am going to broadcast it here or on any of my social media accounts. (In case you missed it, I believe in the radical equality of the genders in church leadership, and I admit that some of the best Pastors and Church Leaders I know have two X Chromosomes.) I have been criticized for other things written here; I am okay with that because the things I write here are important to me, and I want you to know the things that are important to me.

It doesn't matter what the subject is, be careful with what you say and write. Your words will always influence someone, so they must be carefully weighed. Anything you write can be passed on to an audience beyond what you intend, every whisper can be told to people that you might not want hear your message. And a bird might just carry your words to the halls of power and then you will have to answer for all that you say. And if you have ever uttered the words "a little birdie told me" to protect a source of information, the origins of the phrase go back to these words of Solomon.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 11

No comments:

Post a Comment