Friday 9 December 2022

He followed Ashtoreth the goddess of the Sidonians, and Molek the detestable god of the Ammonites. – 1 Kings 11:5

Today's Scripture Reading (December 9, 2022): 1 Kings 11

(This is another post that probably isn't going to win me any friends, so please read with ample forgiveness and grace.)

I have a friend that likes to compare our abortion-ready society with the sacrifices made in ancient times to the Ammonite god Molek. And one of the major sacrifices made to Molek was children. Even some of the Kings of Israel and Judah may have sacrificed their children to this cruel god. And the Bible does not pull any punches. The God of Israel forbade the sacrifice of children. And the Bible declares that this practice, and the god who requires it, are detestable. Our children are special and are to be protected and loved, not thrown into the fiery stomach of this Ammonite god.

And I do understand what my friend is saying. It is distressing what future leaders we might lose through the practice of abortion. But my heart breaks not only for the children but the way we demonize each other in our struggle. And there will never be an appropriate solution to the problem unless we begin to see the other side with grace.

But instead, we demonize, call each other names, exaggerate, and we go to extremes rather than trying to find space in the middle. And then we seem surprised when we can't find an answer to our problem. In one of his diatribes about our modern Molek, my friend reminded me that the state of New York allows abortion up to four weeks after the birth of the child, which is crazy and is more properly infanticide. But there is a huge problem with this law. It is a lie dreamed up by some pro-life group trying to win an argument. New York allows abortion until the end of the second trimester of the pregnancy, and after that, only if the mother's health is impacted or the fetus proves not to be viable. Now we can still oppose that, but the first step is to be at least honest rather than setting up fake abortion laws and then declaring that this is what is wrong with the Pro-Choice side of the argument.

I am Pro-Life, but I am not against all abortion. If the mother's life is at stake, then a hard decision must be made. And I don't envy anyone who has to make that decision. People who find themselves in that situation deserve our prayer and kindness, not condemnation. And so I would not blame anyone who decides to end the pregnancy under those circumstances. If the fetus isn't viable, and the body doesn't miscarry, as it often does, then I don't see a problem with aborting the fetus. I understand the argument concerning aborting a fetus resulting from forced incest or rape, but I also recognize that the circumstances of conception are not the child's fault.

I struggle with aborting a fetus for no reason, but that is my belief, and I don't want to demonize anyone who doesn't agree with me. These are hard situations, and I know too many women who mourn the loss of their child later in life to want to criticize them thoughtlessly. I also know, regardless of your position in the argument, that getting an abortion is the worst day in most women's life.

The question that I often ask those who are Pro-Life supporters is this; "where do you think Jesus would be in this debate? Outside the clinic holding a protest sign or inside the clinic holding the hand of the girl making one of the hardest decisions of her life?" With what I know about Jesus, I think he would be inside the clinic.

I understand the comparison of abortion with the god Molek, but I think it is an overreach and not really understanding the situation. The complexity of abortion, along with many other discussions, is a conversation we need to have while offering each other love and forgiveness instead of desperation and anger. And ultimately, it is not a discussion that we will solve with our words but a matter that each of us will decide with our hearts. Everything else is a waste of breath until our hearts speak, especially if it is offered with anger instead of love and understanding.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Ecclesiastes 1

No comments:

Post a Comment