Sunday 28 November 2021

At the LORD's command through Moses, each was assigned his work and told what to carry. – Numbers 4:49

Today's Scripture Reading (November 28, 2021): Numbers 4

One of the great lies of our society is that you can be whatever you want to be. It just isn't true. Over the years, I have had contact with people who wanted nothing more than to be a pastor or lead a church, but that would be something that they would never be able to accomplish for varying reasons. And that is not something that I say lightly. After all, a few decades ago, that was something that I was told that I would never become.

Our reality is that there are some things for which we are designed. We are gifted to do certain things, but we are not gifted to do everything. Part of God's design was that we would have to depend on the people around us who know what we can't do. And what can be frustrating is having someone in our circles of influence who is gifted in one area but refuse to recognize that gift. Instead, they put away the area in which they are gifted to chase after a task that requires different talents.

The Book of Numbers States that God's instructions are diligently carried out just because God instructed them to do it. And sometimes, I wonder if it was really that simple. It is maybe one of the things with which we struggle.  Okay, it is the one thing with which I have traditionally struggled.  I often seem to want to argue with God about why something can't be done differently. And I sometimes wonder if there was ever a Gershonite in ancient Israel who secretly wished he was a Kohathite.

The secret of living a God-dominated life is in being ready to do what God has commanded, for no other reason than God seems to be leading you in that direction. Because God said so, I will trust him, and I will do what it is that he wants me to do.  The problem is that we want to know all of the reasons so that we can follow logically. God has never been interested in our logic; he is interested in our faith.

You may not understand all that God places in front of you this week.  But meet it in faith – because God has commanded you.  And know that he is there with you every step of the way.

I am praying that you hear his voice today!

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Numbers 5

No comments:

Post a Comment