Friday 26 November 2021

The tribe of Issachar will camp next to them. The leader of the people of Issachar is Nethanel son of Zuar. His division numbers 54,400. – Numbers 2:5-6

Today's Scripture Reading (November 26, 2021): Numbers 2

Nineteenth Century poet and playwright, Oscar Wilde, once said that “you can never be overdressed or overeducated.” I am not sure that the Christian Church would agree. It is not the overdressed comment with which we seem to have an issue, it is the overeducated. I first ran into the education bias of the church when I was working toward my Master’s degree. It started with students who seemed to disagree with the position of some of the professors at the seminary. Their theological positions were sometimes written off as a product of their overeducation. But since then, I have had the education argument thrown at me. If you disagree with me, it might just be because I have too much education.

I don’t really believe that. I have always believed that everyday life gives us the opportunity to learn something, and I believe that every day I we need to take advantage of that opportunity and learn something. Learning something and thinking critically through the biblical record does not mean that I am not a person of faith. I think it actually indicates that I take my faith very seriously.

As God begins to list where the tribes are to set up camp, the second tribe that is mentioned is Issachar. Issachar was the ninth son of Jacob; his mother was Leah and he was the fifth son out of the six that were born to Jacob’s first wife. As such, he would not have been one of the more influential of the sons of Israel. But the tribe was given the honor of being the second one mentioned as the tribes were instructed as to where they would place their tents and also the second tribe to bring to bring the offering of dedication for the tabernacle (Numbers 7:18-23). And the reason they were given this honor was likely that they were the most educated of the Tribes of Israel. Issachar is thought to have been a tribe that was made up of scholars, to which the Book of Chronicles seems to allude when it describes the Tribe of Issachar as consisting of “men who understood the times and knew what Israel should do” (1 Chronicles 12:32).

According to Rabbinic literature, the Tribe of Issachar was made up of scholars. Babylonian Rabbi Abba ben Joseph har Hama (c. 280 – 352 C.E.), also known as Rava and writing on a passage in Deuteronomy, argues that “You do not find a young Torah scholar who gives halakhic instruction (instruction pertaining to the Jewish law and jurisprudence) unless he comes from the tribe of Levi or from the tribe of Issachar” (Yoma 26a). Of all the tribes outside of the Tribe of Levi whose fundamental task was to know the law, Issachar was the best educated, and for that they found honor from God.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Numbers 3

No comments:

Post a Comment