Friday 4 September 2020

Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare. – Isaiah 55:2

 Today's Scripture Reading (September 4, 2020): Isaiah 55

Please read the following with much grace. There is no perfect answer to the current racial division in which we find ourselves. My bias is that I am a white male who, as much as a white man can, understands the angst and anger of our minority communities. I unreservedly support "Black Lives Matter." And for all of my readers who insist on "All Lives Matter" or even "Blue Lives Matter," understand that both of those are stage two propositions, and neither can be true until we understand and support "Black Lives Matter." I have never been profiled because of the color of my skin, but my Black friends have been, and that is evidence enough of the systemic racism that exists in our society. The shooting of unarmed Black men has to cease, NOW, period and full stop. I also understand that even these words are likely to be misunderstood and provoke anger from both sides. So, I am sorry.

But since you are already mad at me, let me push a few more buttons. Because as much as some might want to make us believe this is just a race issue, I am not sure that is true. President Donald Trump occupies the White House, not because of the powerlessness and oppression of American minorities, but, at least partially, because of the powerlessness and oppression of White people in our culture. The problem? There is a wealth and power division in our society, and the divide is getting wider. And that division is making our race issues even worse.

And, I know that I am meddling, but the reality is that I don't believe that the racial divide can be healed until we solve the wealth and power chasm. Oh, and by the way, we can't heal the chasm between those with power and those without, of every color, until we really understand "Black Lives Matter." These are two storms that insist on feeding each other. It is like trying to put out a fire while someone else is still pouring accelerant on the blaze.

Isaiah speaks to Israel and asks, why are you spending money on things that are not food? You are hungry, so shouldn't something to eat be on the top of your priority list? Why do you spend on what will not satisfy? It is a good question and one that we need to answer because we are still doing it. We are hungry, and spend our money on entertainment. We need love and insist on getting there by spending what we have on hate. It is like somehow believing that more guns are miraculously going to result in less shooting (and I am sorry for mentioning this Sacred Cow.) But it doesn't make sense.

More NBA General Managers of color, something I have heard suggested several times over the past week, doesn't fix our problem. Where we have to get to is that point where we understand the radical equality of each of us. President Trump is not more valuable because he has more money or power. Rich and the poor, the powerful and powerless, black, white and every shade in between has to be willing to embrace each other, recognizing the value of the other, and work toward a common solution. Nothing changes if all that exists is the demand for more for me. That is spending money on what will not satisfy. White people have to stand up for the powerless Black man or woman. And my African American friends have to be willing to point at the powerless white person and demand respect for them. If we are going to change anything, we have to change it for each other.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, I wear a mask knowing that it does not protect me; it protects you. If men of color are going to stop being shot in the back seven times, it is only going to happen if White people, especially people of power like the President or police officers, stand up and say, "not on my watch. This is not the way we are going to live." This has to end. And not tomorrow. Today is the day.

Dear White People, including me, it is past time for us to set aside "All Lives Matter" and "Blue Lives Matter" for another day. Today it is "Black Lives Matter." And it is time for us to stand to protect them. Because underneath our skin, we are all the same. Anything less than our willingness to protect those who do not look like us, and we are wasting our resources on things that will not, and cannot, satisfy.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Isaiah 56

No comments:

Post a Comment