Saturday 12 September 2020

I will tell of the kindnesses of the LORD, the deeds for which he is to be praised, according to all the LORD has done for us—yes, the many good things he has done for Israel, according to his compassion and many kindnesses. – Isaiah 63:7

 Today's Scripture Reading (September 12, 2020): Isaiah 63

We all make choices about how we see the world. A friend of mine often liked to call me "Pollyanna" because of the way that I chose to see the world. Apparently, I was overly optimistic in my worldview. The problem is that I don't see myself that way. Too often, I think that I am exactly the opposite. And too often, I kick myself after a "tough talk" with a friend about the realities of life, thinking that my words could have been made a little easier.

Some years ago, another friend called me a great opposer. According to her, I liked to swim against the current of popular opinion, arguing against measures with which most others agreed. But that wasn't who I wanted to be, either. And so, I began to make some different choices about how it was that I was willing to see the world. Likely a change that led another friend to affectionately chide me that I was a "Pollyanna."

Isaiah's words are placed in the mouth of a person who is suffering in exile in Babylon. We aren't sure if it is the author or someone else, but in a terrible situation, that author makes a choice. He has decided to begin his words by telling of the kindnesses of God. Later, this prayer will get darker. He will admit the failure and rebellion of the people that have led him to the position he is in now. He will ask for mercy and forgiveness. The refugee needs God to move, and he will make his petition to his God to do just that. But that is not where he starts. He chooses to begin with telling God, and more importantly, reminding himself and others about everything good that God has already done for Israel. And even the author of the prayer admits that there are many things that God has done.

Writing amid the 2020 pandemic, there are many things about which we can complain. And I know that some of us are scared, maybe, even more, are trying not to be, yet, even now, we can choose first to praise our God. And it was earlier in the summer of 2020, amid the pandemic, that one of my heroes, Mark Beeson, the founding pastor of Granger Community Church, gave an update to his church on his struggle with cancer. I want to share his words with you. These are Mark's words, spoken with a typical Mark Beeson enthusiasm.

So, I was just asked the most interesting question. What happened to your hair? … Then I was asked, do you have cancer? Well, I said, yes, I do have cancer. But cancer is not in charge; God is in charge. God numbers our days; God gives us every day that we have. And we decide how we will live those days. Yeah, I have cancer, but I am trusting God for every day, and I have a new look … oh, the purposes of God will still be the purposes of God, those haven't changed at all, but how the church lives out God's purposes looks a little different from age to age, season to season. As we follow Christ together, whatever our look, whatever style of ministry, we're serving the purposes of God, and we're together, and the opportunity that we have now is to join hands and be the church. Lean in, and each of us play our part in the church. And together, to walk forward with Jesus, following Christ, every day he gives us so that we can bring the kingdom wherever we are. His kingdom is coming, and his will, through his people, is being done on earth like it is in heaven. I love where the church is, and I love the opportunity that we have in the days ahead, to walk into this, how shall I say it, new look, with Jesus. It's going to be something; it's going to be great. Follow your leaders, and lead where you can and be strong, we're on this; it's God's mission, together, as his church. I'm proud of you, God bless you, live strong, you matter.

I think Isaiah would have been proud, in the midst of the storm, I will choose to "tell of the kindnesses of the Lord, the deeds for which he is to be praised, according to all the Lord has done for us … [and] according to his compassion and many kindnesses."

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Isaiah 64

 

No comments:

Post a Comment