Friday 23 August 2019

My heart, O God, is steadfast; I will sing and make music with all my soul. – Psalm 108:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (August 23, 2019): Psalm 108

I am finite. I understand this all too well. I know that I cannot do everything. A friend recently asked me why Christians insist that they are the experts in every area of life, and I understand the query. Often we make ourselves experts because we have listened to a speaker and not because we have done the research ourselves. We place our trust in the opinions of experts, and sometimes those experts have led us astray. But I know all too well that I am neither the expert nor can I do it all alone.

Recently I participated in a significant event for our local church. It is a small church, less than 70 people show up on the average Sunday, but every year for the past decade we have thrown a party for the community. On this day, we welcomed over 500 people onto the parking lot of the church. We ran out of everything, which sometimes is a good thing. But part of the problem with these events is that it takes everyone, and it is rare when everyone buys into any event. People who attended this event commented that the event was well organized. Positive comments abound. But there were a few comments that bothered me. A couple reported the hurt that comes with coming to church. One comment was that sometimes, those with mental limitations are marginalized. And I was hurt more than some might have imagined that I could be by these comments. These criticisms did not sum up the church of which I wanted to be a part. But the truth is that at a big event, it is often easy for any of us to feel that we are lost.

For my own experience, I know that I had one gentleman carefully follow me throughout the event wanting a few minutes of my time. Unfortunately, I am finite. As I ran from one commitment to another, and one fire that required my attention to the next, it wasn’t until we had closed the event that I was able to go and find the gentleman and invite him to come and sit in my office for a conversation. I felt terrible that he had waited so long, but it seemed to be the nature of the day.

My guess, and I still have an investigation to do, is that the Facebook concerns that I read about the event reflected the same issue. The leaders that were busy trying to put on the event did not have the time for the niceties that would typically accompany interpersonal interaction. I know that sometimes that is hard to understand, and it is something of which we all need to be aware, but it also a reflection of our being finite, and not infinite, people. All of this weighs heavy on my mind and my soul.

David says that his heart is steadfast. There is nothing new in this Psalm, other than the way that the Psalm is arranged. It reflects other things that David had written in his life. Once again, David reassures his reader that he knows where to place his attention. It is not on the finite vessels that surround him. It is not even in his own abilities. His attention and focus were on God. David had let people down. His advisors were not perfect. We are all limited. Our limited natures are innate in who we are. But God is not. And as David writes, “My heart is steadfast; my soul will sing and make music,” his words are not about the limited parts of our existence. His focus is on God.

And when things do not seem to go our way, God is where our focus should be as well. Even the best-intentioned people will let us down. But God is infinite and forever. And he is the only one who makes our hearts steadfast and secure.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 24


No comments:

Post a Comment