Thursday 8 August 2019

All these men were under the supervision of their father for the music of the temple of the LORD, with cymbals, lyres and harps, for the ministry at the house of God. Asaph, Jeduthun and Heman were under the supervision of the king. – 1 Chronicles 25:6


Today’s Scripture Reading (August 8, 2019): 1 Chronicles 25

The movie “Yesterday,” tells the story of a young musician in a world where only he remembers the music of “The Beatles.” With his personal musical career seemingly going nowhere, he becomes a superstar by merely remembering and repackaging the songs that he remembers from a band that no one else recalls. I watched the movie recently, and on my way out of the theater, another moviegoer turned to me and remarked that the music of “The Beatles” was still important even today, more than fifty years after the original release of the songs. She was right. But I also loved the inclusion of Ed Sheeran and has music in the tale. The music of “The Beatles” is important, and the world would be poorer without it, but the music being made by today’s musicians is just as important. Ed Sheeran’s music is also important, along with the many other contemporary musicians writing and singing their music to this generation. My only regret about the movie “Yesterday” is that I would have liked to have heard the harmonies of Lily James adding depth to more of the songs.

I also realize that I might hear music differently from other people. I have met people who do not like music of any kind, and I freely admit that I don’t get it. I grew up in a very musical family, on both sides of the family tree, and I am very thankful for the musical influence that I have inherited from my parents, grandparents, and my aunts and uncles. It is a heritage that is very important to me.

But I remember a conversation that I had with my grandfather when I was a pre-teen. I was playing my guitar, I don’t recall the tune, but I was reworking it in a way that I thought worked better. My grandfather disagreed. His comment to me was “play it the way it was intended or write your own songs. It was that day that I decided that it might be time to start writing my own songs.

There have been very few things on which I disagree with my grandfather, but this is one of them. I still songs, but I also love to rewrite older songs in a way that, at least to my ear, works better. I love to hear Matt Redman or Chris Tomlin or other contemporary artists, do something new with old hymns, allowing the essential writings of generation past to be born anew for modern ears.

The Chronicler says that all of the musicians of the temple were under the direction of their fathers. They learned their craft on the laps of the musicians who went before. Early twentieth century Baptist Pastor F. B. Meyer, commenting on this passage, argues that the “children were ‘under the hands of their father.’ Young people must not get the upper hand.” But I think that Meyer misses the point. For those of us from musical families, we are deeply indebted to the lessons that we learn from our fathers and mothers, and other members of the family. But we will also imagine the music differently than the way that they did. And that is okay. Part of the fabric of music, both inside and outside of the church, is indebted to the Bachs and Beethovens, the Fanny Crosbys, the Gaithers, the Beatles, the Ed Sheerans and all of those who are still learning their craft on the knees of their fathers and mothers. All are important, and all will form the fabric of music, both secular and sacred, for the generations yet to come.  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 26

No comments:

Post a Comment