Wednesday 28 August 2019

I am about to go the way of all the earth,” he said. “So be strong, act like a man … - 1 Kings 2:2


Today’s Scripture Reading (August 28, 2019): 1 Kings 2


If you are looking for a good cry, I recommend Ed Sheeran's song “Supermarket Flowers.” The song is about the death of his grandmother, written from the point of view of his mom. It is a private song; no one was supposed to hear it except for his family. But at the urging of his grandfather, Ed decided to release the song, and his fans are very thankful that he did (although it is a song that you cry along to instead of sing.)
The opening words of the song talk about the aftermath of his grandmother’s death.
I took the supermarket flowers from the windowsill
I threw the day old tea from the cup
Packed up the photo album Matthew had made
Memories of a life that's been loved
Took the get well soon cards and stuffed animals
Poured the old ginger beer down the sink
Dad always told me, "don't you cry when you're down"
But mum, there's a tear every time that I blink
Sometimes it is just impossible to hold back those tears. David’s instructions to Solomon reminded me of those last two lines. Oh, there was probably a good reason for David to tell Solomon to “act like a man.” It was something that David had been unable to do when his son Absalom had died rebelling against him. And at the time, David had been chastised for his mourning. The reality was that the nation needed a King who was in control. Solomon would need to stand in front of the people and speak with a force that, even though David was dead, would remind the people that the nation was still okay. So, at least in the eyes of David, Solomon needed to “act like a man – don’t you cry when you’re down.”
And yet there is also a danger, and harm, in David’s words. Man or woman, there are times when the tears come, and they cannot be controlled. I have met those moments in my life, and there is no doubt in my mind that more moments when I will “cry when I’m down” are coming. Tears are a natural part of life. They help us deal with the hurt, and actually help us deal with the pain of living in a healthy way.
Solomon would have to stand in front of the nation with strength and tell the people that everything was fine. But I am not convinced that the people didn’t also need to see him mourn the death of his father. It was a reminder that the King could understand their pain because he experienced his own.
Mourning will come. Meeting it with tears is natural for all of us. Tears are part of life, along with the joy that we understand about the one who has departed. Ed Sheeran chooses to finish his song about his grandma on a note of hope.
So I'll sing Hallelujah
You were an angel in the shape of my mum
You got to see the person that I have become
Spread your wings
And I know that when God took you back he said Hallelujah
You're home
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 37


No comments:

Post a Comment