Friday 1 March 2019

Early in the morning Samuel got up and went to meet Saul, but he was told, “Saul has gone to Carmel. There he has set up a monument in his own honor and has turned and gone on down to Gilgal.” – 1 Samuel 15:12


Today’s Scripture Reading (March 1, 2019): 1 Samuel 15

Jane Austen in “Pride and Prejudice” writes that “vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.” In other words, pride can be healthy in small amounts. There is a level of pride that is necessary if we are to move forward in pour lives. If there were not a certain amount of pride, none of us would get out of bed in the morning.

Vanity is a little different. Vanity involves the little things that we do to change other people’s impression of us. A few years ago I was conducting an Ash Wednesday service when a woman came up to me desiring to have a serious conversation just before the service began. Her message was to the point. It was a sin, specifically the sin of vanity, for a pastor to color his hair. What was left unsaid was that maybe I should consider giving up that sin during the season of Lent. She made her accusation, and then left me to consider what she had said. Confession time. I have colored my hair. In my twenty’s I had an inclination that I wanted to lighten the color of my hair just a little bit. I used an application designed not to dye my hair, but to lighten it. The application failed. Instead of going to a little bit more blond, the way my hair looked when I was a child, my hair went red. I was the butt of the jokes told by my friends. And I decided that coloring my hair was not for me. That was the last time that I tried to color my hair (and to be precise, at that time I was not a Pastor, but I have repented of that sin anyway.) I have a little grey in my beard, and so I shave every morning. I have a little grey in my sideburns, which my hairdresser solved one day, without me asking, by removing them. But I remember my encounter with this woman, and sometimes I wonder what she thinks of me since I obviously have not followed her advice and gone grey. We have never spoken about the sin of my hair color since that Ash Wednesday conversation happened. (And for those of you who might color your hair, I am not convinced of her declaration of sin.)

Saul starts off his reign as king with great humility. But Saul’s humility does not last. We are about fifteen years into the reign of Saul at this point in the story, and Saul no longer questions his appointment as king. Now he is celebrating his position. Austen may insist that pride and vanity are different, but here Saul is guilty of both. He goes to the town of Carmel, which needs to be differentiated from Mount Carmel. Mount Carmel is in northern Israel, while the town of Carmel, now called “al-Karmil,’ is in the southern portion of what we would now call the “West Bank.” At Carmel, he erects a monument celebrating himself. Saul has begun to see himself as the true leader of Israel; Saul considers himself to be above even the dictates of God. And this is an example of how his humility had turned into pride. But by erecting the monument, he is also trying to influence the way that the people see him, and this would be vanity. Both Saul’s pride and vanity have carried him away from God and has placed his role as king at risk. A reign that started with promise has failed because of the pride and vanity of the king.

It is interesting to note that both the Saul and David, the first two kings of Israel, fall into sin. The difference between the two kings is found in their reaction to sin. Saul, guilty of sin, goes and builds a monument to his reign. David, guilty of sin, falls down before God and mourns the sin that he has committed. As a result, God rejects Saul and embraces David.          

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 16

No comments:

Post a Comment