Monday 22 October 2018

Then at the entrance to the tent of meeting, the Nazirite must shave off the hair that symbolizes their dedication. They are to take the hair and put it in the fire that is under the sacrifice of the fellowship offering. – Numbers 6:18


Today’s Scripture Reading (October 22, 2018): Numbers 6

Confession time. I used to wear a mullet (for those who have no idea what that is, now is the time to google “mullet haircut.”) The truth is that I wore the mullet long after it had ceased to be fashionable. Some good people tried to convict me of my sin, but I wasn’t listening. One good friend tried to convince me that my position in the church meant that I should shave off the mullet and go for a more businesslike cut. I did not react well to the idea. Another actually tried to bribe my hairdresser to cut it all off while she had me in the chair. According to the rumor, I wasn’t there at the time, my hairdresser’s response was that “he wouldn’t be Garry without the mullet.” And so the mullet continued to shine on my head.

But then my hairdresser died, and I had to go and find someone else who would care for the demands of my mullet. And my new hairdresser decided to confront me about my mullet. Why was I so attached to a hairstyle that had become an object of ridicule? It was a question that I honestly couldn’t answer. The reality was that my hair probably, somehow, connected me with my youth. And my youth was not something that I was sure I wanted to give up. And so the hair continued. But my new hairdresser convinced me to change the style. Her words were that I should trust her. “If you don’t like the hairstyle I will give you; your hair will grow back.” I had to admit that that was the truth. My hair is always growing.

And so I replaced the mullet for a shorter, and spikier, hairstyle. (That one lasted until another hairdresser sat me down and told me that I was too tall to wear a spiky look. Ah, but that is a story for later.) And the mullet has not, as of yet, decided to make its return.

There are a lot of reasons that we might have for the way that we cut our hair. Memories, ease of care, laziness, a phobia about people with sharp scissors messing in the vicinity of our heads, or a myriad of other reasons. But this passage speaks of a ceremonial reason. In ancient times, if a person wanted to make a vow of dedication to God, then they might take a vow to live as a Nazirite. For a short period, this person would make some significant sacrifices in their lives, which included abstaining from alcohol, remaining ceremonially clean, and allowing their hair to grow, without cutting or shaping it, for the period of the vow. We know now what ancient people didn’t know. Our hair contains a history of who we are, what our health might be, and what drugs we have taken. There is a story contained in our hair. And for a Nazirite, that story belonged to God.

When the vow came to an end, the person would then come to the entrance to the tent of meeting, shave off the hair – the story of their time with God – and burn the hair as an offering to God. For that period, God had been the driving force behind the story. And so the story and the hair belong to God. And because it belonged to God, it had to be treated in a holy manner. In this case, the hair became the fellowship offering of the Nazirite to his God, and a memory of the time that they had spent together.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Numbers 7

No comments:

Post a Comment