Wednesday 6 April 2016

Though you probe my heart, though you examine me at night and test me, you will find that I have planned no evil; my mouth has not transgressed. – Psalm 17:3



Today’s Scripture Reading (April 6, 2016): Psalm 17

The evidence is in and Donald Trump is a comic book superhero. Look for Super Donald to appear on your newsstands in the very near future (I see him with a Stars and Stripes cape and a helmet in the shape of his hair.) Because, apparently, what would kill an ordinary politician seems to have no effect on Super Donald. We have come to the point where it doesn’t matter what he says, we just seem to eat it up. And by the way, if he ever does misspeak, well he never does, we just hear him wrong. Even television cameras and radio microphones fall victim to his power, they mishear what it is that Super Donald tells. But there is no need to worry, because when the time is right, Super Donald will tell us what it is that he said, and why he is always right. (I have to admit that I wish I had his Super Power back in school, I would love to be able to tell my teacher that I was right all along, the paper and pen just didn’t pick up the right answer. Super Donald’s super power is amazing.)

Or maybe not. Maybe it is mind control that is at work here. Science fiction writers have been telling stories for a long time about political egomaniacs who rise to power because of their ability to control people’s minds. Maybe that is how The Donald does it. Maybe I misspoke, well, or you misheard me, I didn’t say that Donald was a Super Hero, I said that he was a Super Villain. And we need to find Commissioner Gordon’s office so that we can call the Batman to come to the rescue.   

Scholars have long complained that Psalm 17 has been corrupted beyond recognition. The corruption is especially strong in verses 3 – 5. It is hard to understand what David is even thinking as he writes these words. It is obvious that the text has been changed, this couldn’t be what David felt. David didn’t believe that he was perfect, did he? His followers must have changed the text, they misheard him – or something.

But there might be a simpler answer. I know that as Christians we cringe at this thought that David had done no wrong and that no evil had ever come out of his mouth, but it might be that these words were written by a young David. David in his dealings with Saul tried hard to be blameless. This is before Bathsheba, before the problems with his sons, before everything that proved that David was mortal and liable to sin (or misspeak or misbehave.) There might have been a time when David was young enough and innocent enough to believe that because God had anointed him, he must be perfect. That God’s anointing was because God had searched him and found no fault in him. And so he throws those words back at God. You were the one who anointed me, you must know that there is no fault in me.

Eventually, David grew up. He began to learn that it was not perfection that had attracted the attention of God, but rather the ability to admit when he had fallen short. To keep short lists with God was what God desired. Eventually, David grew up and recognized that he was not perfect, just forgiven.

We can hold out the same hope for Super Donald. That someday he will grow up and realize that he is not perfect, just forgiven.  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 18

No comments:

Post a Comment