Sunday 10 April 2016

I will declare your name to my people; in the assembly I will praise you. – Psalm 22:22




Today’s Scripture Reading (April 10, 2016): Psalm 22

In ancient Egypt, the Pharaoh’s strongly believed that there was power in the speaking of their names. Often these kings would engrave their names several times deeply on stone monuments to induce those that followed them to speak their names. Speaking the name strengthened the Ka of the Pharaoh as he worked in the realm of the dead. If his Ka became weak, then he would no longer be able to perform the functions that allowed the sun god Ra to rise into the sky and the season to change. So speaking the name and strengthening the Ka became extremely important to the Pharaoh’s and to the people.

It also seems to have formed a basis for the belief of power in a name. In Judeo-Christian circles we tend to guard the name of God. We don’t speak it rashly or utter it in such a way that the meaning of the name is lessened. In Jewish thought, the true name of God is not spoken or written down in any form so as to protect the power of the name. Often Jews and some Christians substitute the title Lord or Adonai for the name of God. We do not want to misuse in any way the name of power. In this we are almost the opposite of our ancient Egyptian friends, who wanted the names of the Pharaoh’s mentioned as often as possible in order to strengthen their spirit. We guard the name and substitute other names in order to guard our own spirits from these names of power. God is remembered and reverenced, without the speaking of his name.

But David promises not to guard the name of God, but to speak the name of power among the people. His commitment is to make sure that the people understand that God is the source of all good in the world, and this good starts with speaking his name. It is interesting that there is a change in the emotion of the Psalm at this point. Up until now, it has been a sense of desperation that has dominated the Psalm. Suddenly, as David speaks the name of God, all of that changes. We move from “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (vs.1) to “From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly” (vs.25). All because the name of God has been spoken.

For Christians, this is also a Messianic Psalm or a Psalm about Christ. In its words we find words that were spoken from the cross (My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? [vs. 1]) and what appears to be a description of Jesus final hours (All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads.  “He trusts in the Lord,” they say, “let the Lord rescue him.” [vv.7-8]), but we also in this verse seem to find the action of the resurrected Jesus. The first thing that Jesus said after the resurrection was directed at Mary. “Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God’” (John 20:17). Literally, go and speak my name to my people.

Mary went and did just that. And ever since we have continued to speak the name of power, the name of Jesus.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 23

No comments:

Post a Comment