Friday 8 April 2016

But who can discern their own errors? Forgive my hidden faults. – Psalm 19:12



Today’s Scripture Reading (April 8, 2016): Psalm 19

One of the most disturbing comments of the post-modern society is that we simply seem to do what is right in our own eyes. What this means is that any opinion is a legitimate one and no one has any right to say that we are wrong. The problem is that there are still things in which there is a definite right and wrong. How can anyone argue with the concept of Black Lives Matter unless it is to say that All Lives Matter, including Black ones? I know that there are some who argue that All Lives Matter decreases the importance of the problem, namely violence perpetrated against Blacks, especially within the United States. That might be true, but we still cannot fall away from the reality that all life is important. Life simply matters, and there will be a time when we will be judged because we have not understood that simple concept. And anyone who says that Black Lives Don’t Matter can’t be seen as speaking truth just because it is within the realm of what they believe. (The Ku Klux Klan is wrong, not just as a matter of private opinion, but because of an objective reality.)

There are a number of current issues in our culture that have an objective right or wrong. Hate is wrong wherever we might find it. Climate change is real and something that we need to come to grips with fast. We are the caretakers that God has left on the earth to guard creation, not the invaders that God has sent to plunder the planet.

But with almost all of the things that I feel passionate about, that concern has been learned over time inside of community. There are opinions that I held onto very strongly when I was twenty that I no longer hold. There are things that I view as being wrong now that I didn’t believe were wrong then. In some ways, I have grown up. But I have not come to the conclusion on what is right and what is wrong in isolation. I have had mentors and teachers, and I have existed within a community of believers which has taught and molded me. And I believe that this is just as God has designed it.

And there are still things that I struggle with – things where right and wrong is not so clear within my mind. I know, there is still error in what I believe. The problem is that I may not understand exactly where that error might be. Some things simply aren’t all that important so being wrong in these things really won’t make a big difference. But other things are important. And all I can do is pray this prayer with David. God, forgive me for the faults that I have not recognized within myself.

Because the reality is that it is a lot easier for me to see your faults than my own. And it is a lot easier for you to see my faults than your own. In community this is something that we can learn, as we ask God for forgiveness in the areas where we remain blind.
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 20 & 21

No comments:

Post a Comment