Monday, 31 August 2026

Therefore this is what the LORD says: You have not obeyed me; you have not proclaimed freedom to your own people. So I now proclaim ‘freedom’ for you, declares the LORD—‘freedom’ to fall by the sword, plague and famine. I will make you abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth. – Jeremiah 34:17

Today's Scripture Reading (August 31, 2026): Jeremiah 34

In my mind, I am always right: always. I can have arguments with myself, and I always win. There is never really any mystery; I know in advance that I am going to win. So, I argue with myself a lot because, like some politicians, I like to win. I think that we are all just a little like that. We are right. The more that we win arguments with ourselves, the better we feel about our own position. As a result, our arguments become about what we deserve and the rights that we have.

God designed the concept of grace and placed it into the law he gave to Moses. Grace is basically the giving of something to someone that is undeserved. He had called Israel to be his people even though they had done nothing to earn that position. Israel didn’t deserve the honor of being God’s people, although I think they convinced themselves, basically by arguing with themselves, that they were worthy. God’s idea was that Israel, the objects of God’s grace, would share that grace with everyone around them. Because grace was what made Israel different, they would extend grace to one another. So, slavery, an idea that was held by all of the other countries in the world at the time, for Israel could only be a temporary state. Grace insisted that an enslaved person needed to be released after a certain length of time. Unfortunately, Israel argued with itself and won the argument. The result of this self-argument was that the enslaved person didn’t deserve to be set free, so why should they free them? Didn’t they have the right to do with their slaves the same thing that other nations did with theirs? And they were right; the enslaved person had done nothing to deserve to be set free. However, neither had Israel done anything to deserve to be released from their slavery in Egypt. This wasn’t about rights; Israel was supposed to be involved and telling a story that could only be told by God’s grace.

Whenever our arguments focus on what we deserve or what our rights might be, we leave the arena of faith and grace. The whole idea behind Christianity is that we receive what we didn’t deserve. God gives us what we don’t deserve, and our mission is to give the world around us what it doesn’t deserve. We are all about second, third, and fortieth chances. We are about grace; a grace that we extend freely because it is freely given to us. We proclaim freedom not because any one of us deserves it, but because God has spoken the story of grace over all of us.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 35

No comments:

Post a Comment