Tuesday 5 March 2024

The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. – Acts 9:11

Today's Scripture Reading (March 5, 2024): Acts 9

Back in college, I found myself in a conflict with someone and had no idea why. I was a sophomore, and my opponent was a freshman. I had seen him on campus several times and tried to engage him in conversation but was shut out each time. I made excuses for him; Maybe he hadn't heard me or had to go somewhere. But one afternoon, I saw him playing his guitar in a common area. I am a somewhat adequate guitarist, so I thought maybe this was a way to connect with him. I sat beside him and complimented him on his playing. In response, he simply got up and left. And I was confused. To my knowledge, I had never met this guy, and yet, there was obviously a conflict between us. My problem was I had no idea what the conflict might be.

I tend to be persistent, so I kept trying to chip away at the broken relationship. For his part, he started to tolerate me. Our relationship advanced to the point that we could sit in the same group of people and talk without him leaving. Then, we started to have a few one-on-one conversations. And when we started talking, I had to ask. "You are mad at me for some reason, but I am unaware of our conflict. What exactly did I do to earn your dislike?"

He responded on the why, which essentially came down to two situations. First, I had briefly dated someone he was interested in dating. And because of my dating life, he never got a chance to date the person he thought was his dream girl. But it was the second situation that really turned him against me. He sat beside a girl during a thousand-kilometer bus ride coming to check out the college I was attending, and she wouldn't shut up about me. Two girls were too much. And I understood his frustration, but I smiled when he told me the second girl's name. All he knew her by was her first name, which was Cheri. I knew exactly who she was as soon as he told me this mystery girl's name. I had the privilege of telling him that my sister was the girl he sat beside during that thousand-kilometer ride. Any missed opportunity with her was not my fault; it was his misunderstanding.

Sometimes, I wonder how much Saul understood his reputation. Did he know that the emerging Christian Church feared him? Did Saul understand that his reputation had already preceded him to the empire's major cities? Did he know that the Christians in Damascus were already afraid just because they had heard he was coming? I don't know the answer to these questions, but maybe he did. As a result, it would take a direct intervention from God to get Ananias and Saul together. There is no way Ananias would ever have sought out Saul except that God had come to him and told him to go. And there was no way that Saul would have accepted anything from Ananias had God not met him on the Damascus Road. Regardless of the intervention, that first meeting between the two men must have been filled with tension, as the men tried to get behind the reputations and confront the flesh-and-blood person they had grown to fear and maybe even hate.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Acts 10

No comments:

Post a Comment