Monday 11 March 2024

Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. – James 3:5

Today's Scripture Reading (March 11, 2024): James 3

A 19th-century philosopher, William James, wrote, "The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitude." James, the brother of Jesus, an early church leader, and the author of the biblical letter, would agree, but he would tell you that your tongue drives your attitude.

A few years ago, I was in a meeting, and an issue was introduced to the board members. The solution was going to cost a bit of money. I admit that I am a bit cheap. I don't mind spending money if I can see its purpose. If you can convince me of the purpose and that God can use something to increase his kingdom, then I am all for it. But I was sitting in this meeting, and money wasn't plentiful (by the way, this meeting wasn't in my church; it was with a denominational board on which I was serving), and an idea came up that I thought was stupid. So, I said so. And one of the other board members said, "Oh Garry, that is why we like you. You say no to everything."

The comment hurt because I didn't want to be that guy. So, I started to try to change my tongue. I had overlooked the power of my tongue; I was seen as a negative guy, and I didn't want to be that guy. That day, I decided to listen more and be willing to be convinced. Unfortunately, I was being steered in a direction I didn't want to go by my tongue.

I also didn't want my tongue just to become neutral. If my tongue was steering my boat, I wanted to make a radical change and ensure that my tongue was steering me in the right direction. Eventually, instead of being the negative guy, people made fun of me because I seemed to be "Pollyanna." Pollyanna was a character in a children's book who liked to play "The Glad Game," And the Glad Game involved trying to find something good in every situation.

If I have become Pollyanna Mullen, it is only because I have changed my tongue. I wanted my tongue to take me where I desired to go, so I needed to make a positive change. Sometimes, I mess up. But I am trying to take control of my tongue.

A little while ago, I received one of the best compliments I could have imagined. I had been talking with a friend. I love my church and brag about the people and everything they do. And my friend said, "You get it."

I was confused and asked, "What do you mean that I get it?" And he replied, "You get it; you get that your job is to invest in your leaders and let them lead. Some pastors feel they are competing with their leaders, but you don't. You brag on them." And I hope that I do.

And I hope that you do. We need to invest in each other; it is part of what the community is all about. You are not competing, but you are to invest in each other, and that investment begins with what you say.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: James 4 & 5

Personal Note: Happy Birthday, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment