Tuesday 26 March 2024

I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. – 1 Corinthians 2:3

Today's Scripture Reading (March 26, 2024): 1 Corinthians 2

I think we all understand fear. We have all experienced big and small fears, and even some big ones that should have been small. We all know the kind of fear that keeps us awake at night. So, if there is one thing that should bring immense comfort to us, it is Paul saying that he came to Corinth in fear and trembling.

Why wouldn't he come in fear and trembling? Paul is about to speak of the crucified Jesus, whom he has resolved to know. To speak of the Crucified Jesus is a lot like talking about an elephant in the sky holding the speck of dust on which we live. It doesn't make sense. Many years ago, I remember speaking to a lady who said that she could never believe in a God who would sacrifice his own son. It was something that she would never do, which is really the point. Christ crucified doesn't make sense. 

Fear is always present when we go beyond what we understand. I remember my Grade six summer vacation very clearly. I had resolved to do nothing all summer. I mean nothing. I believed that time passes more slowly when you are bored out of your mind and I wanted time to pass as slowly as possible. I did not want to go into Grade seven. Grade seven meant a new school. My elementary school was just down the block from my house. The Junior High School was a half-hour walk away.

And there was no recess in Junior High School. I mean, how do you survive without recess? There was this overpowering feeling of fear, and all I wanted to do was sit there in my room and allow time to pass as slowly as possible. Maybe time would pass so slowly that Grade Seven would never come.

Paul comes to the Corinthians in weakness. Nothing he is about to teach will make sense to the Greeks or the Jews. But Paul was willing to face his fear to deliver the message to the Corinthians. There will always be reasons for us not to tell people about Jesus and too few reasons for us to speak up, and yet, the world can only change because of the church's confession that Jesus Christ is the son of God, our Savior and Messiah. Paul might have come to Corinth in fear and trembling, but he refused to let his fear stop him from declaring his convictions to the people of the Greek city.

Back in Junior High, the following September, I showed up at my new school on schedule, still filled with fear and trembling. The reality was that I loved my new school once I got there. My friends were there, along with some new ones. And I felt somehow older in my new school, more mature like I could take on anything the world might want to throw at me. New experiences awaited, all of which were very exciting for my younger self. Oh, and I was in grade seven for a couple of months before I realized there was no recess.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 3

No comments:

Post a Comment