Thursday 21 March 2024

Rejoice always. – 1 Thessalonians 5:16

Today's Scripture Reading (March 21, 2024): 1 Thessalonians 5

I apologize for my following words. I am not trying to get a song stuck in your head. Bobby McFerrin was wrong when he sang his hit song, Don't Worry, Be Happy." The central concept of McFerrin's song was adapted from Indian Mystic Meher Baba, who advocated in his teaching, "Do your best. Then, don't worry, be happy. " Scholars (people march smarter than I) have argued whether joy and happiness were the same for years. Could they be separated? Some have tried to take the emotion out of joy, but I think that is a misapplied effort. Joy is an emotion, but at the same time, it is also more than emotion. Happiness often seems to exist on the surface and is changeable at a moment's notice. You can walk into a restaurant happy as you enter the door, spill coffee on your lap, and cry out in sadness (and pain). Why do these things always happen to me? Lousy news affects our happiness. Happiness is fickle, but we seem to chase after it anyway.

Joy is more profound; it is still an emotion but more foundational. And joy, to a certain extent, is a choice; you can choose whether you will be joyful. So, Paul gets to say to us ""be joyful always.""

An example of this is found in a story originating from the Vietnam War. The Hanoi Hilton was a prison built by the French around 1886. It was called Maison Centrale, literally Center House. Maison Centrale became famous as a place of torture and death for American POW's during the Vietnam war. John McCain spent five and half years at the Center House, as did Admiral James Stockdale.

Admiral Stockdale arrived at the Hanoi Hilton in 1965. He would be released in 1973. During that time, Stockdale would be tortured over twenty times. He lived out the war without any prisoner's rights, no set release date, and no certainty of whether he would ever see his family again.

One of Stockdale's achievements at the Hanoi Hilton was that he instituted rules for prisoners at the Center House. He knew that no one could endure torture forever, so he set up certain things that the prisoners could say when they had been tortured for a specific length of time. He gave men milestones that would help them survive. He also developed a communication system of taps. It was a five-by-five matrix. "Tap, tap" was A – "tap, pause, tap, tap" was B – and the prisoners would communicate with each other even during periods of prolonged silence. At one point, during an imposed silence, the prisoners mopped and swept the yard using the code, swish-swashing out the message "We love you, Stockdale."

Jim Collins arranged to interview Admiral Stockdale for his book "Good to Great." In preparation for the interview, he read the book that Stockdale had written with his wife, "In Love and War." The Stockdales had written the book, each writing alternating chapters. Collins says that as he moved through the book sitting in his comfortable office on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, he could feel himself getting depressed. He spoke to himself, "I'm getting depressed, and I know the end of the story. He comes home and is reunited with his family; he becomes a national hero and gets to spend his later life studying philosophy. What would it have been like to live through it and not know the ending?"

When Collins asked Stockdale the question, his response was a little surprising. Here is what he said "I never lost faith in the end of the story. I never doubted not only that I would get out, but also that I would prevail in the end and turn the experience into the defining event of my life, which, in retrospect, I would not trade" (James Stockdale in Jim Collins "Good to Great).

Here is the beginning of joy. Joy says, despite what I am experiencing, I have faith in the end of the story. I may not be happy with where I am, but I know that this moment is one that I won't want to trade because it will strengthen and form me.

Joy isn't optimism. When Collins asked Stockdale if there was a type of person who didn't get out of the Hanoi Hilton, Stockdale responded that the optimists never left the Center House. It was the ones that said we will be home by Christmas or by Easter who didn't make it. They died broken because these deadlines kept on passing them by. You can almost hear Stockdale preaching, you will not be home by Christmas, but you will get home; deal with it.

I don't want you not to worry and be happy. I also don't want you to live with an emotionless existence. I want you to understand joy, a core emotion that says, "I have faith in the end of the story. I have decided that this is an experience I won't want to trade." I will be joyful, always.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Thessalonians 1 & 2

No comments:

Post a Comment