Sunday 21 January 2024

When he saw them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." And as they went, they were cleansed. – Luke 17:14

Today's Scripture Reading (January 21, 2024): Luke 17

Some things have to be learned by doing. It is not that you don't need to know some of the theory in your head first, but you also need to actually do it. My favorite sport is probably American Football, although Hockey is a close second. But to learn to play either of those sports, you need some head knowledge but a lot of practice on the field or rink. In football, I played as a defensive end. And I admit, I think I would be a much better defensive end if I knew the theory of the position I know now, which I didn't know then, but the practice and the time on the field was also essential. Understanding the game theory alone is insufficient if you want to play well. You also must play. And it would help if you played in game situations. Practicing alone is also not enough.

The same is true about playing a musical instrument. Learning to play well includes learning some basic music theory, along with hours of practice. But, if you are going to play well, you also have to play with some other people and instruments. There is no substitute for playing as part of a band and experimenting with playing your instrument with others participating in a similar way.

Many years ago, I was in a worship experience. I tend to watch the musicians when I am in that environment. At one point, the band went into an extended musical interlude. As I watched the band playing, I saw the keyboard player look over at the drummer and shrug his shoulders as if to say, "I have no idea where this is going, but keep playing." After the worship experience, I had the privilege of sitting down for coffee with the band, so I asked them about that moment. The guitarist and lead singer laughed and said, I knew that the chord progression should lead somewhere, but I couldn't figure out where I had heard it before. It took me a few minutes to figure out where it should go. The lead singer had gone off the page of the session and went where the band had not practiced, but he could do it only because the band had played with each other and learned each other's tendencies.

In a culture that tells us that we must build ourselves up, the cry of the lepers still needs to be the cry of our hearts. If sin is sin, then we are all the worst of sinners. We have no advantage, and there is nothing that we can claim to be to our credit. And our hearts cry must be, "Master, have mercy on me." 

I know it is hard to utter the words, but there is no defense or excuse. Only Jesus, the Master, and we fall far short of where we are supposed to be.

As the lepers cried out to Jesus, his reply was clear, "Go and show yourselves to the priests." And the Bible says, "As they went, they were cleansed." I do not believe that Jesus always gives physical healing, but he always gives spiritual healing. But I have noticed that healing is often tied to an action, in this case, showing themselves to the priest. The lepers didn't return to their colony or home and wait for the miracle to occur. The lepers went and showed themselves to the priest, and they were healed at some point on that journey. I don't think things have changed; I believe Jesus still tells us to do something. And it is as we go that we are cleansed.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: John 11

No comments:

Post a Comment