Wednesday 31 January 2024

No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions. – Matthew 22:46

Today's Scripture Reading (January 31, 2024): Matthew 22

When I was in High School, I loved the argument. To be honest, I loved it so much that sometimes I took the opposite opinion just to argue with someone. As I got older, I probably became a bit of a contrarian until I realized that that really wasn't who I wanted to be. But I am still not afraid to hold a contrasting opinion on something if I feel that opinion deeply.

But in High School, my love for the argument led me to love the academic debate. It was part of the English curriculum at the time, and my class was divided into debate teams and randomly assigned different topics; none of these topics were very serious. Whether we supported or opposed the resolution was likewise a random action. My team went early in the debates, and we did well. I do remember that we won the debate, and I received a reasonably good grade on the assignment.

But late in the series of class debates, another situation arose. One of the members of another team was sick on the day of the debate. The teacher decided that one of the other team members would have to do double duty, putting forward the argument for herself and her sick teammate. The teacher assured the shorthanded team that she would take that double duty into consideration when she was assigning the grade for the debate. However, the leader of this team had a different idea and asked the teacher if I could take the missing student's position in the debate. The teacher looked at me and asked why he would want to participate in the debate; after all, he had already received his grade. (Did I mention that I love the argument?) But maybe the biggest surprise and compliment for me came from the opposing team, who didn't want me in the debate. They argued that it would be unfair for me to debate against them, even though I would be going in cold, with absolutely no time to prepare for the argument (which, if I remember correctly, was "Be it resolved that dogs are better than cats").

Eventually, the teacher sided with the team that wanted me in the debate. I entered the debate arguing that cats were better than dogs, and we won. However, I am sure the win had nothing to do with it and everything to do with the excellent debate preparation that my teammates had done and that their opposition had done only the minimum. But it was a fun class, and I became the only person in the class to be on two winning debate teams.

I am not sure that Jesus loved the argument, but he was good at it as he talked with the religious elite of the nation. He was so good that the Pharisees and Sadducees finally decided they wouldn't win the battle by using logic or rhetoric. Now, Jesus's enemies had agreed that if they were going to defeat Jesus, they were going to have to change their tactics and replace the debate with treachery and violence. If they couldn't defeat him in the discussion, they would kill him with a cross. But either way, the ministry of this Jesus had to end, and it had to end soon.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Matthew 23

No comments:

Post a Comment