Sunday 7 January 2024

He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. – Mark 8:32

Today's Scripture Reading (January 7, 2024): Mark 8

Job is really a story of dysfunction. And I am convinced that is one of the reasons why the story of Job hits home. We understand dysfunction. I was in a classroom environment a while back, and the subject of dysfunctional pastors, or more precisely, pastors from dysfunctional backgrounds, came up. And the thought was that 90% of all pastors come from dysfunctional environments. I admit I was the one who pushed back and said that statistic doesn't sound right. And then, the discussion turned to the things that have hurt us and caused us significant pain, and every one of us not only has experienced considerable pain but that pain causes us to react in an unhealthy manner. It is pain that keeps resurfacing in our lives, which is essentially the definition of dysfunction. We are all dysfunctional, well, maybe except for a couple of you, and you are in denial, which is a whole different discussion.

Many years ago, I had a dream. I dream a lot, and absolutely none of my dreams are normal; they are all weird. But this dream was about a church where I once pastored. And it was the week after I had left my position. For some reason, I was still at the church. So, I came into the church, and someone else had my office, and the church was different. In my dream, I was working hard on getting a small choir together. The choir was for the coming Sunday in this church. On the day of their performance, I brought my small ensemble out to sing, but there was already a massive choir on the platform. My choir wasn't needed, but beyond that, it wasn't good enough. I tried encouraging my small ensemble to join the massive choir, but we weren't wanted.

On this Sunday, there was a baptism planned. The whole basement had been enlarged, and a vast swimming pool occupied a major portion of the basement where the baptisms would occur. A group of Pastors were gathering and practicing for the baptism in this swimming pool, and once again, I wasn't needed.

As I was coming up the stairs, I saw another pastor. Now, I have no idea why he was in my dream. He wasn't a friend or even a pastor that I knew well. But he recognized me on the stairs, half smiled or smirked at me, and then he turned away and walked in the other direction.

And then I woke up. As I lay in bed with this depressed, sinking feeling in my chest, my response was, "God, what is this all about? I thought I had dealt with all that stuff." But the dream was just evidence of my dysfunction and pain. Maybe it was a reminder of the dysfunction in my life that threatens to intrude on all the decisions I might make even years later.

Peter was dysfunctional. He had experienced pain in his life. And so, he had this idea of how Jesus would minister to his pain, and that didn't include Jesus dying. And Peter reacted out of his dysfunction, "No, Jesus, you can't do that. Jesus, you can't die."

And Jesus turned to Peter, and he understood his dysfunction. Sometimes, I wonder if we get that. Jesus sees my dysfunction and understands it. He doesn't understand it just superficially; he gets it deep in the core of his being. It would be in the Garden of Gethsemane that Jesus would pray, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will" (Matthew 26:39). Dad if there is any other way, if I don't have to die, can we do this differently? But, in the end, I will follow you.

Life is dysfunctional, but your dysfunction is not beyond God. He understands it and still chooses you to follow him.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Matthew 17

No comments:

Post a Comment