Friday 11 August 2023

No longer will the people of Israel have malicious neighbors who are painful briers and sharp thorns. Then they will know that I am the Sovereign LORD. – Ezekiel 28:24

Today's Scripture Reading (August 11, 2023): Ezekiel 28

I recently finished Kathy Reichs novel "Cold, Cold Bones," part of her Temperance Brennan series of books; Brennan is the main character from the "Bones" television series. And part of the drama in the book is a conflict that Temperance has with one of her neighbors. The conflict with the neighbor is over a garden statue that resides in Brennan's garden and bothers his son. And the conflict carries its way through the rest of the novel. (I won't say anything more, just in case you want to read the book.) But conflict with neighbors is something that might be a reality in a lot of our lives. I admit that I am lucky. I have lived in my current residence for over two decades, and most of my neighbors are also long-timers. And, at least for the most part, there has been very little drama in the neighborhood. There have been a couple of exceptions, but I love the community in which I live.

But I know it isn't always that way. Sometimes, we have unreasonable neighbors. (And no, we are never "the unreasonable neighbor.”) One of my neighbors across the street continually reminds me of the wonderful people living to my left and right. For him, his neighbors must care for their property. He wants the curb appeal of their properties to match the care he puts into his home. But, unfortunately, a series of people have moved in and out of those houses, and few have been able to live up to his expectation of property care. But he approves of how my right and left neighbors care for their properties.    

Only one pair of neighbors living close to my home have what might be called an active feud. One of the unfortunate features of my neighborhood is that the space in the back of the homes, between two rows of houses, seems to have created a bit of a sound tunnel. Hearing what others might be saying in their backyards is very easy. And one night, someone made a careless comment about a neighbor, and the feud began, a fight that becomes obvious on hot summer evenings when some have had a little too much to drink.

Ezekiel speaks of a time when Israel will no longer have neighbors that only want to plot their destruction, a time when the feuds between Israel and her neighbors will end. I can't imagine a better blessing than to have neighbors who are not painful briars in our lives, neighbors who care about us and about whom we care.

Unfortunately, as violence continues to rock the Middle East and neighbors throw accusations at each other, I am not sure that Israel has ever felt the fulfillment of this prophecy. It seems to continue to exist as an Island amid neighbors who seek its destruction. Occasionally, someone who wishes the nation well appears, but those friends have been few among Israel's neighbors. But someday, friends will be the rule instead of the exception. And we will continue to know that God is still on his throne.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 29

No comments:

Post a Comment