Monday 28 August 2023

He said: "Son of man, this is the place of my throne and the place for the soles of my feet. This is where I will live among the Israelites forever. The people of Israel will never again defile my holy name—neither they nor their kings—by their prostitution and the funeral offerings for their kings at their death.– Ezekiel 43:9

Today's Scripture Reading (August 28, 2023): Ezekiel 43

Dividing lines are amazing things. The things that separate us are many; I think too many, but that is just my opinion. We need to begin to take down the barriers between us. Somehow, we must understand that disagreeing with each other is okay, but a disagreement should never lead us to division against each other. And I know because, over the past few years, I have had some people decide to separate and erect a barrier to keep themselves from me because of what I believe. Some of the key disagreements have been music; I tend toward more contemporary styles of music, Bible Translation; I refuse to say that the King James Version is the only accurate Bible (although I admit that I do use the King James Version among others in my study of the scripture), the position of women in leadership; I am egalitarian and welcome women as my equal not as complementing my leadership; and the Christian reaction to the LGBTQ Community; I believe that the church has overplayed its cards and we need to be more accepting of each other. And these are just a few ways we separate ourselves from others. The result of these divisions is that we are gathering into smaller and smaller echo chambers where everyone agrees, and we are never challenged. And I understand that being challenged can be uncomfortable, but it is also necessary to strengthen us.

I recently watched "Jesus Revolution," and while I enjoyed the movie, it also made me a little uncomfortable at points. But the one thing that I agreed with was the idea that the "Jesus Revolution" involved people being welcomed into the church who were previously rejected. In the movie, this idea was symbolized by the acceptance of the hippies, a group of older teens and younger adults who were rejected in most churches of the late 60s and early 70s.

I don't have many hippies trying to get into my church. But I know that my neighborhood includes many people who might not feel welcome in my church. And as I watched the movie, I wondered if there was a need for another "Jesus Revolution." A revolution that insists that you are welcome, regardless of who you are. Have you been rejected? Come to Jesus and find acceptance. Do you feel lost? Come and discover Jesus. Are you tired? Come and find rest. This is who I believe the church is supposed to be. The truth is that there are people in every congregation who feel that they cannot be real with us because if we know who they are, they believe we will no longer accept them. And that is on us.

Ezekiel seems to give us an image of a Temple where the dividing lines have been removed. All that is left is what is holy and what is profane or common. And all that matters is the common (us) as we interact with the sacred (God). And as we listen to him and try our best to hear what he has to say to us. No longer will we bring what defiles God into his presence. Here we will love each other despite our differences and accept each other as God accepts and welcomes us. And our interaction with God will be all that actually matters.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 44

 

No comments:

Post a Comment