Monday 12 June 2023

"Very well," he said, "I will let you bake your bread over cow dung instead of human excrement." – Ezekiel 4:15

Today's Scripture Reading (June 12, 2023): Ezekiel 4

Where do you draw the line when it comes to food? Are you a picky eater, or are you adventurous and willing to eat anything? I admit I am on the picky side, but I am also a bit defensive about my food choices. I have several life-threatening food allergies, so I have become cautious about what and where I eat, and I tend toward food and restaurants that have not made me sick in the past. I usually don't try anything new, although I have been known to surprise some companions with my eating.

And I have a list of things that I would never eat, whether I am allergic to them or not, and admittedly, to most of the foods on that list, I do have an allergy. What kind of food makes that list? Tuna Eyeballs; usually sold in a package of two. It is unsettling to consider eating something that is staring back at me. In my defense, I am allergic to fish, so I assume that fish eyes would also be deadly. Stinkheads are also on my list. If you have never had stinkheads, they are the head of a king salmon that has been buried in the ground for a few weeks and then eaten as a pungent, putty-like mush. Am I making you hungry?

What about Jing Leed (Grasshoppers)? Here is one food on my nope list that isn't actually on my allergy list, although I am also not sure I have ever been tested for bugs. Jing Leed is fried and then seasoned with salt and pepper with maybe a bit of chili. I am told that it tastes a little like popcorn husks, except that Jing Leed sometimes squirts liquid into your mouth. Yum. One more food on my never list is wasp crackers. Think of chocolate chip cookies with wasps instead of chocolate chips. I wonder what they would taste like dipped in milk?

Regardless of how adventurous or picky we might be, if we were stuck somewhere and Jing Leed or wasp crackers were all you have to eat, our decision of what we are willing to eat might change. Outside of my allergies, so would mine. It might be surprising what we might be willing to eat when we are hungry.

God instructs Ezekiel to cook some bread over human excrement. Ezekiel objects because he feels the human manure would make the food unclean; go figure, and he has never eaten anything unclean. God relents and allows him to substitute cow dung for the human excrement. It is a concession on the part of God, but not much of one. Cow dung was used as fuel for a fire or to get a good fire going, but no obedient Jew would ever cook bread on top of such a fire. But that is also God's point. A time is coming when you will be so hungry that you will be willing to eat food you would never have typically eaten. God wants to warn people that there is a time when even the Jewish food laws would be skipped because all there was to eat was what was unclean.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 5

No comments:

Post a Comment