Sunday 18 June 2023

Their faces had the same appearance as those I had seen by the Kebar River. Each one went straight ahead. – Ezekiel 10:22

Today's Scripture Reading (June 18, 2023): Ezekiel 10

What are you trying to achieve? Do you know what the goal is that you are trying to achieve, or are you just trying to get to the end of the day and then the end of the week so that you can relax and play before the new week begins? I am not sure there is a right answer to that question, and I am not convinced your answer is stable over time. I think we all go through times in our lives when getting to the end of the day or the weekend is about all we can do. The stress of living exceeds our capacity, and for a while, getting through is about all we can do. And at other times, we can set goals and try to achieve goals that are energetic and worthwhile to chase. Maybe these things, and everything in between, are just a part of life.

At one point in my career, I worked for a very driven individual. He always seemed to be working hard on the next project. And I remember sitting with him in a circle of individuals having an earnest conversation, and my boss was on the other side of the circle, diligently typing the thoughts and feelings being expressed by the people in the meeting. In one of the more serious, quiet moments, the person sitting beside the boss leaned over, pointed at the screen, and commented, "You get double the points if you can get that one." The result was hilarious, starting with the stunned look on my boss's face. There is no evidence that he had ever played a video game or had any idea what had been said. But the rest of us understood the joke, and the fact that my boss didn't only made the joke funnier.

Sometimes I like nothing more than to kick back and play a game. It helps me unwind. But there are also times when I need to chase goals. And we need to know the difference. And when we are pursuing our goals, it is always best to drive straight toward them. To reach our goals, we must avoid the pitfalls and delays of a circular route.

That seems to be precisely what Ezekiel is speaking of here. As he speaks of the Cherubim going straight ahead, he is saying that these angels knew their goal and were driving straight toward that goal. They would not be deterred or encouraged to divert to the right or left. The Cherubim understood the will of God and were willing to chase after that will to the exclusion of all other things.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 11

No comments:

Post a Comment