Friday 12 May 2023

What do I care about incense from Sheba or sweet calamus from a distant land? Your burnt offerings are not acceptable; your sacrifices do not please me. – Jeremiah 6:20

Today's Scripture Reading (May 12, 2023): Jeremiah 6

I grew up in a church where everyone was expected to wear their "Sunday Best." Even as a kid, I usually wore a suit and tie on Sunday Mornings. You would never see me in jeans and a T-Shirt at church, although that was how I would have preferred to dress. Jeans and a T-Shirt were acceptable for school, but not church. Everyone came wearing their best; beautiful dresses, suits and ties, and, if appropriate, elaborate hats that set the congregation apart from the outside world. I remember one pastor who wore a bright white suit every Sunday morning. If I started to wear that today, the people at my church would wonder if we had transformed into some sort of a cult. (I never really got along with my white-suited pastor, so maybe it was back then too. Yes, I am joking.)

It isn't that way today. Sometimes I wonder if people are showing up in their pajamas. I know that they aren't, but sometimes it looks like, for some people, every Sunday is pajama day. My worship leader always wears jeans and a T-Shirt. I don't wear jeans, but I often wear a T-Shirt, and I rarely wear a tie, even though my closet is filled with them. And if I do wear a tie, I favor one that features Spiderman or another cartoon figure rather than one that might have been worn by a pastor when I was a kid. And when I do wear a cartoon tie, there is a little shock from those who see me but don't know me.

But I know that not everyone is happy with the current dress customs in the church. One person told me they were leaving the church because of the lax dress code. What surprised me was that the one leaving was someone who always wore a T-Shirt and jeans to the Worship Service. I mentioned that she could dress up for church; many did, if that was what she wanted. She explained that she never would unless someone forced her to wear a dress. So, she would leave for a church that demanded a higher dress code rather than making it optional.

However, your Sunday best is not and has never been a path to God. I am convinced that God does not care what you wear to church. Your dress or tie will never make you holy. My response to people who ask what they should wear is, "Wear something clean that you want to wear." What makes you a Christian is accepting Jesus Christ and not what you wear when you attend church.

Jeremiah is preaching a similar message to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. Jerusalem's population prided themselves on the quality of their worship. They used only the best incense, often importing frankincense from Sheba. They imported the best calamus, a sweet-smelling flowering plant containing psychoactive chemicals, from distant lands. But those things could never make their worship acceptable to God. And just like a beautiful Temple does not raise the quality of respect given to God, wearing your "Sunday Best" doesn't make you a better worshipper. Even the best incense could not cover up the unwillingness of the people's rejection of God's word and his ways. And God has always desired obedience from his children rather than spectacular sacrifice.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 7

No comments:

Post a Comment