Monday 22 May 2023

But in the eighteenth year of King Josiah, this Passover was celebrated to the LORD in Jerusalem. – 2 Kings 23:23

Today's Scripture Reading (May 22, 2023): 2 Kings 23

I have always been very impatient. I want things now. I wouldn't say I like to wait. I really don't want to wait for food. If I am honest, it is probably one of the reasons why my first choice for food is always fast food. I was recently at a Mcdonald's restaurant for a quick lunch, and even though I am impatient and want my food now, I thought they did an okay job. But evidently, the manager was a little more impatient than I was because as I was leaving, he met me at the door and gave me coupons because he felt the service was slow. And honestly, I hadn't been impressed with that particular store up until that point.

I talk a bit about a fast-food religion. It is the idea that we demand immediacy from our religious beliefs. It is the reason why I think that the four spiritual laws have been able to gain such a grasp on the evangelical church. It is just an understanding of one, two, three, and four, and now you are a Christian, and we can move on to the next person or event. There is a sense of immediacy to four steps and a simple prayer. But I believe that spirituality is, at its roots, a journey; our spirituality really should have more in common with a slow boat to China than the Star Trek transporter, but that isn't quite as attractive because it isn't as immediate.

Our image of Josiah was that he wanted to please God and follow him from the very beginning of his reign. But Josiah's reign started when he was only eight years old. And as an eight-year-old, there was probably little that he could do. But he began moving Israel toward where he believed God wanted them to be. And then, he found a portion of the Bible (probably the book of Deuteronomy) and began to realize how far away he still was from the ideal. And it wasn't until eighteen years after his reign began with the intent to serve the God of his grandfather Manasseh that his journey had progressed far enough to celebrate the Passover the way it was meant to be. And God wasn't through with Josiah even then.

We do our spirituality an injustice when we treat it like a fast-food restaurant. It is a journey, and years into our expedition of spirituality, we are still learning what we need to know to be spiritual. But we also have to place ourselves in spaces where we can learn. Spirituality, maybe especially Christianity, is a journey on which we need to spend the rest of our lives traveling. There is never a point as long as we are breathing where we can say that our spiritual journey has finished. We will always have more to learn.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Chronicles 35

See also 2 Chronicles 35:19

No comments:

Post a Comment