Monday 15 May 2023

Therefore this is what the LORD Almighty says: "See, I will refine and test them, for what else can I do because of the sin of my people? – Jeremiah 9:7

Today's Scripture Reading (May 15, 2023): Jeremiah 9

I am battling with the stuff in my life. There are a lot of things that I need to unload. Some of it is the various little dust collectors we all display in our homes. And maybe it is too easy for me to throw those things out. But I think I have admitted on this blog that one of my more challenging decisions concerns the books that I own. I love books, and I have good friends who have emptied their libraries and then mourned the loss of their books, which makes me even more hesitant to get rid of some of mine. But I know I must lighten my world. At least some of my stuff has to go.

So, like many who have gone before me, I have to make some hard decisions about what I possess. Are these things bringing me joy? Am I likely to use them during the next few years? But some of the most complex decisions are around books and items that have been given to me. My wife's grandfather, when I was just starting out as a pastor, gave me a set of commentaries by Adam Smith. Smith wrote his commentary in the 1700s, but this set of books was published in 1850. The books are delicate, and the truth is that I can access the whole collection of commentaries on the internet, but I still don't think I can give these books away or throw them out. There are too many memories connected with these and other books.

Jeremiah looks at Israel and says there are things in their lives that should not be there, which are more significant than my excess books and stuff. For Judah, there was sin that was providing a stumbling block for the nation. And it was sin with which the country needed to deal. But Jeremiah asserts that God also offers a solution. And Jeremiah uses the language of the metal refiner to describe the process. Like a metal worker, God intended to pass the nation through the fire to burn off all of the impurities, leaving just a refined version of the person at the end of the process. As God purifies them, his fire takes care of all the stuff in their lives that simply shouldn't be there.

And it is still the process that God offers to us. This life was never intended to be easy, but it is during the more challenging times that we often see the most growth. And so, we should be grateful for our struggles. But even more importantly, God uses these times of struggle to burn off every sin that occupies our lives, leaving us better than when we started.

There is a depression-era story that brings this struggle into focus. The story is about an unemployed man who is watching the building of a large church. And in the process, he notices one worker shaping a piece of stone on the ground. He walks up to him to ask what he is doing, and the worker explains that he is shaping the stone on the ground so that it will fit a vacant area up at the top of the church spire. The unemployed worker begins to weep as he sees himself in the description. God was shaping him down here so that he would fit up there.

It is what God is still doing for us, shaping and refining us down here so that we will fit up there.  

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 10

No comments:

Post a Comment