Wednesday 17 May 2023

LORD, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, LORD, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish. – Habakkuk 1:12

Today's Scripture Reading (May 17, 2023): Habakkuk 1

I have never been a fighter, which is problematic because, during my younger years and as a bigger person, some of those who liked to fight often wanted to use me as their proving ground, believing they would gain respect within their social networks if they could win against me. And so, they were often frustrated when I refused to rise to the challenge. But I had absolutely no motivation to get involved in the fight. I think I began to notice how bad the situation was one evening as I watched the local small-town hockey team play, and one of the guys who had wanted to fight me took a swipe at me with his stick as he walked off the ice between periods. Luckily, I caught the motion out of the corner of my eye and ducked before any damage was done. But, after that, I kept my eye on my would-be opponent.

Israel always understood their earthly conflicts to have spiritual origins. God was forever; he was eternal. And as a result, there is never a time when God is not or will not be there. And God has his eye on Israel; he will protect his people. The Masoretic text translates this verse slightly differently. "Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, [we] will never die." The change is significant, and it is not, because the base meaning remains that "God is everlasting, and because of that, we have nothing to fear. God will always have a plan for the salvation and restoration of Israel. Therefore, Israel will never die.

If there is a struggle, then it is God who is fighting against Israel. And this understanding was apparent within the biblical prophecies. As Assyria was planning its attack on Samaria and Israel, Isaiah put this idea into words. "In that day the Lord will use a razor hired from beyond the Euphrates River—the king of Assyria—to shave your head and private parts, and to cut off your beard also" (Isaiah 7:20). The graphic image is of a people who are defeated and embarrassed as they are taken captive by the stronger nation, in this case, the King of Assyria; but all at the direction of God.

Similarly, Jeremiah talks about the fall of Judah at the hands of the Babylonians.

"You are my war club,
    my weapon for battle—
with you I shatter nations,
    with you I destroy kingdoms,
with you I shatter horse and rider,
    with you I shatter chariot and driver,
with you I shatter man and woman,
    with you I shatter old man and youth,
    with you I shatter young man and young woman,
 with you I shatter shepherd and flock,
    with you I shatter farmer and oxen,
    with you I shatter governors and officials.

"Before your eyes I will repay Babylon and all who live in Babylonia for all the wrong they have done in Zion," declares the Lord (Jeremiah 51:20-24).

According to Jewish theology, neither Assyria nor Babylon had defeated Israel or Judah. God had appointed these nations to execute judgment and ordained them to punish. It was God who directed these nations against the descendants of Jacob. And if exile had not been what God wanted, exile would never have happened in either of these situations.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Habakkuk 2

No comments:

Post a Comment