Saturday 20 August 2022

They slay the widow and the foreigner; they murder the fatherless. – Psalm 94:6

Today's Scripture Reading (August 20, 2022): Psalms 94

A friend of mine sent me a Facebook quote; "If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." The quote was placed on a background that included a great picture of Morgan Freeman, suggesting that this might have been a Freeman quote. Ah, but this is Facebook. The quote was actually written by the famed "Harry Potter" author, J. K. Rowling.

I have to admit that I do have some issues with the quote. My biggest problem is that the quote assumes a hierarchy of importance that I am not sure exists. The concept that Rowling is more important than the person who cleans her house doesn't sit well with me. In the wake of the attack on author Salmon Rushdie, the follow-up threat that J. K. Rowling is next also bothered me. I'm afraid I have to disagree with many writers, but I do not want to kill them. I am in the process of clearing out some of my books, and I admit that there are authors in my library with whom I have serious disagreements, but I also don't want to get rid of their books just because I might oppose their ideas. Conflicting ideas should empower conversation, not a judgment on who is worthy of living and who is not.

The Bible suggests a radical equality. It emphasizes the idea that we are all equal of being worthy of life and the chance to live out our dreams. Concepts can't take that away from us. And neither can any of the circumstances that might take place in our lives. The only thing that should diminish our worth is when we do something that doesn't recognize the value of other people. Regardless of whether I agree with the ideas that Salmon Rushdie has put forth, the one who repeatedly stabbed the author is the one who has diminished his own value in the view of society. Rushdie, as a victim, has not been reduced in any way by the attack.

And that is precisely the point that Psalmist tries to make in this passage. The foreigners, widows, and fatherless were vulnerable to those who believed they possessed power. They were often misused, persecuted, cheated, and in some cases, as this Psalm argues, they were put to death. All because someone deemed them to be inferior. But in the eyes of God, they were just as valuable as the ones who had attacked them. And maybe more importantly, because the attackers had maligned and misused those valued by God, it is the attacker whose value has been diminished, regardless of whatever power and authority the attacker might believe that they possess

It is a warning that we all need to hear. We must value those the world believes to be inferior because their Creator values them more than we understand. It was something that Jesus taught to anyone who would listen to his words. "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me" (Matthew 25:40). And Rowling is right as well, "If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." They know deep down that even these people, the least of these, are our equals and not our inferiors.

Today's Scripture Reading: Psalms 97

No comments:

Post a Comment