Sunday 7 August 2022

But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. – Psalm 73:2

Today's Scripture Reading (August 7, 2022): Psalm 73

American novelist Truman Capote (1924-1984) admitted, "I'm not a saint yet. I'm an alcoholic. I'm a drug addict. I'm homosexual. I'm a genius" (Truman Capote, Music for Chameleons). I love the admission that "I am not a saint yet." It is a personal confession of the reality of life. There are things in my life that aren't quite right. Some are things that I know are wrong and I need to work on, and some are things that other people might hold against me. I know that I am not a saint yet, at least not as I know many would define sainthood, but that does not mean that I will never be one. The journey isn't over yet. Let me continue to work on the things that disqualify me from sainthood.

In reality, Capote never got his demons under control. The author's pr4emature death at 49 was partially aggravated by his drug and alcohol use. Does that mean that he never achieved his sainthood? That is the unanswerable question because it just might be that his sainthood didn't depend on those things in the first place.

Asaph begins his Psalm with the thought that God honors those who are pure in heart, but then he admits that that is not him. He wishes he was pure in heart, but he knows his reality. Asaph remembers the times when his foot almost slipped and the moments when he nearly lost his foothold. Asaph can echo Truman Capote's thought, finishing Capote's quote with his personalized list of things that stand between him and sainthood. Asaph is not a saint yet, but the journey isn't over. Not yet.

I can identify with both Capote and Asaph. I am not a saint, at least not from their definition of the word. I am not pure at heart. I am not sure that I believe that any of us are. I am a member of the human race, with all of the benefits and defects that are the  possession of all humanity. I am not deceived. I know that there are things with which I need to deal in a better way. But my journey isn't over yet. And I trust that God is still remaking me and all of us who, like Truman Capote, can admit that "I'm not a saint yet." And for all of us, like Asaph, who have to admit we almost lost our foothold and fell into an unending pit, the Book of Hebrews offers some comfort and encouragement.

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need (Hebrews 4:14-16).

Today's Scripture Reading: Psalms 75 & 76

No comments:

Post a Comment