Wednesday 20 July 2022

The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. – Psalm 103:8

Today's Scripture Reading (July 20, 2022): Psalm 103

The American philosopher and writer Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915) argued, "A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you." We are lucky if we can share our lives with that kind of someone. I know that I have been one of those fortunate people. I have several people who know me well, beginning with my wife and family, who I have given many reasons not to love me, yet they still do. And I hope I return that kind of love to them because there is great security in knowing that someone loves you despite all you have done. Someone who understands that love was never designed to be conditional on behavior; rather, it is meant to be shared in all circumstances. I want to be that kind of person. Maybe that is the definition of true love. Love is never something we earn, but something that is freely given to us, despite what we might have done.

I have recently been criticized for reading the Bible through the lens of love. I admit it. I do think that love is an important factor in understanding God. Sometimes we have the mistaken opinion that love is only something that is promoted in the Christian Testament. But a superficial reading of the Tanakh or Hebrew Bible repeatedly reveals a God of love. Yes, the God of the Tanakh is a God of righteousness and justice. But, according to the Bible, before he is either one of those things, he is a God of love. Sometimes there is anger in God, but the anger comes slowly, long after multiple attempts of grace and mercy have been extended to us.

David had experienced the love of God. He understood God's anger, but despite his shortcomings, he knew that God still loved him. His sins, even though they were great, had never grown to the point where God had removed his love. There was a difference between the love David had experienced from God and the ways humans treated him. People often excel at wrath, keeping the argument going, and parceling out their love to those who they think deserve it. But I don't believe that that is real love.

I want to aspire to God's kind of unconditional love; I want to give up my grievances and just love those around me. I want the feuds to stop at my door. Like David, I pray that I will somehow be able to love those who don't like me. And love even those who criticize the doctrine of love through which I read my Bible. I want God to reshape me, help me love those who disagree with me and pray for them without reservation, knowing that God loves them as much as he loves me. The world would be a much better place if we could just learn to live that kind of love.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Psalm 109

No comments:

Post a Comment