Friday 1 July 2022

I hate those who cling to worthless idols; as for me, I trust in the LORD. – Psalm 31:6

Today's Scripture Reading (July 1, 2022): Psalm 31

Whenever I say that I hate something, I try never to hate someone, my wife reminds me that hate is a strong word. Actually, so does my computer. Just typing the words "I hate" causes my computer to tell me that I might be overly harsh. As a result, I really try to limit my use of the word. But there are times when, usually in frustration, I exclaim, "I hate this." And those words are typically followed up with the words, "and I know hate is a strong word."

But my wife is right. Hate is a strong word and one with which we need to be very careful. I have been in significant conflict with people, and I have been tempted to hate, but I usually understand that hate is a useless emotion when I take a step back. Hate only engenders more hate. As a result, hate tends to grow, spreading from place to place. Hate quickly becomes a never ending circle and a problem for all of us.

In 1971, the Canadian band "The Poppy Family" released their album, Poppy Seeds, which contained the hit song "Where Evil Grows." The words of the chorus tell us that;

Evil grows in the dark
Where the sun it never shines
Evil grows in cracks and holes
And lives in people's minds

 It is not just evil that grows in the dark and cracks and holes, living in all of our minds. Hate can usually be found there as well, growing and spreading and infecting everything that it touches.

David says he "hates" those who cling to worthless idols, but I sometimes wonder if "hate" is the right word. David is saying that he rejects the idols which many had adopted. They have no power to change anything, so they are to be despised. But is it right to hate those who cling to such useless gods? 

But hate is easy. Some stand in conflict with me. I suspect they might even hate me and those who stand by my side based on their words and actions. And because hate grows, it would be easy to return the hate to them. But I find hate hard. I pity them because the path they have chosen, like those who chose idols in David's day, is a path without power. Hate often feels like strength, but it usually opens us up to great weakness and significant failure. Love is harder, but it is a way of power. I think what David was describing was his hatred for anything that would dare to take his people away from the God of Israel. Idols promise much but can't deliver on their covenants. And we need to stand up and rebel against anything that would steal God's power away from those we love and even those with whom we are in significant conflict. Life is short, and we have no time to waste on the idols or powerless emotions that tempt us in this world.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Psalm 32

Happy Canada Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment