Sunday 24 July 2022

Our help is in the name of the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. – Psalm 124:8

Today's Scripture Reading (July 24, 2022): Psalm 124 & 125

I recently read a social media post that asserted that 20% of all stock market investors get out of the market after one dip, and 75% get out after one bear market. (A bear market is defined as a drop in the value of the market of over 20%. Generally, the term is used for any declining market that drops significantly in consecutive quarters prompting stockholders to sell their shares.) Only 5% of investors are in for the long haul. No wonder 5% of investors reap all the benefits of the stock market. It was a social media post, and I have no idea whether any of the figures are true, but in my experience, I believe the number might be close. I know people who tried investing once and quickly got out of the market. In speaking with my financial adviser, I know his phone rings off the hook during times of decline as his customers panic over losing their money. The truth is that a lot of us, deep down, have placed our trust in our money. And I am not saying that money is not important. I know how much fun having money can be, especially when you have a chance to give it away. But, in the process, money can become a god in our lives.

I don't live in a society that has many competing gods. But, the reality is that in the absence of a pantheon of gods, we often raise up gods of our own creation. Money is one of these false gods, but it is not the only one. Other possessions like vacation homes or special cars can become our gods. Our jobs can become the gods of our lives. Even friends and family, as important as both of those are to leading a happy and healthy life, can become the gods we long to worship.

There is a note of defiance in David's words. Living in Israel, he knew that the nations surrounding him worshipped other gods. But even more importantly, he knew these same gods were making inroads into his community. Some people who should have known the reality of the God of Israel had fallen for false gods. But David stands defiantly in front of these deluded worshippers and says, I know that you have chosen to chase after Baal, Ashtoreth, or Dagon. I know that you have been attracted by the stories of what they can do, but I want you to know that I trust in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. I know what it is that he can do because he has created everything.

As Christians, we, too, can be enticed to follow our own false gods. We give lip service to the concept that we are followers of Christ, but the truth is that we are really the worshippers of our savings accounts, our vacation spots, or our friends and family. And we need to hear David's call. I know who you are worshipping, but I want you to know and understand the truth that you have missed. "Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." We don't need to look any further; God is enough.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Psalm 131, 133 & 134

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment