Saturday 16 July 2022

I am a foreigner to my own family, a stranger to my own mother's children. – Psalm 69:8

Today's Scripture Reading (July 16, 2022): Psalm 69

My mouth gets me in trouble. Too often, I say what I mean, even if that means that my frustration gets the best of me. And too often, my words cause a barrier between others and me. And that is my fault and my sin. I am trying to change that, but sometimes I find it hard. What I write and even struggle with within this blog are my real issues and feelings. I am willing to be convinced that I am wrong. I promise to work harder through my problems in the future.

But what is true is that sin always creates barriers between other people and us. It might be that all of the walls that exist between us are rooted in our sin. And unfortunately, sin is the one thing we all suffer from; therefore, all of us suffer from the division that our sin has caused. And while we are forgiven for our sin, the Bible also makes it clear that we still have to suffer through the after-effects of our sin. I wish I could say that we didn't, but I know from experience that that is simply not true.

David is open about his sin. Sometimes, he is overwhelmed by it. Often the flood of sin threatens to drown him. He stands in need of grace and in need of forgiveness. And God forgave his sin, yet the sin in his life still has caused division. In fact, we know from David's story that his sin with Bathsheba caused a serious division between David and some of his children. David had his affair with Bathsheba in secret. But Nathan insisted that the division between him and his sons would be done in a very public manner.

"This is what the Lord says: 'Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity on you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will sleep with your wives in broad daylight. You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel'" (2 Samuel 12:11-12).

The fulfillment of Nathan's words happened during the rebellious reign of David's son, Absalom. Absalom was the third oldest child of David and the oldest of the children born to David and Maakah, the daughter of Talmar, King of Geshur. Absalom asked Ahithophel, a man known for his great political wisdom, for advice. Ahithophel's response was –

"Sleep with your father's concubines whom he left to take care of the palace. Then all Israel will hear that you have made yourself obnoxious to your father, and the hands of everyone with you will be more resolute." 22 So they pitched a tent for Absalom on the roof, and he slept with his father's concubines in the sight of all Israel (2 Samuel 16:21-22).

So, we know David suffered through conflict with Absalom and likely some of his other children. But according to this Psalm, his actions had also brought division between David and his siblings. Because of sin, David admits that he lived as if he was a foreigner to his own family, and it was a situation that David wished he could have changed. But David's reality was that this division would always be part of his life. It was part of the reality that David knew that he had caused and an effect that he would be forced to live through because of his sin.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Psalm 70

No comments:

Post a Comment