Friday 16 July 2021

Why are we regarded as cattle and considered stupid in your sight? – Job 18:3

Today's Scripture Reading (July 16, 2021): Job 18

Has anyone ever said anything which sounded stupid to you? Sometimes it is hard not to scoff at remarks that you consider to be so obviously wrong. Early in the COVID-19 pandemic, I talked to a friend who was furious with the Christian community. Apparently, she had been phoning Christians with her warnings about the pandemic, warnings that her audience had roughly rebuffed. Admittedly, her beliefs were filled with conspiracy theories and rumors, and apparently, her audience had not been kind in their response. And in the process, her anger only grew.

I get it. It is hard not to be taken seriously, especially when you think you are right. But it is just as hard to hear something that seems to be so obviously wrong and not even attempt to correct the error. My friend talked, and I did my best just to listen without any kind of negative response. It was simply not what my friend needed at this moment. As far as I was concerned, her theories were filled with holes, but none of that mattered. Her ideas weren't what was important, not then. My friend was the only thing that was important in the conversation.

Concerning the pandemic, we all probably believe something different. Some of you think that the pandemic is a government conspiracy. Personally, I can't get my head around that. For one thing, I don't see what the government is getting out of generating the conspiracy. It seems like a lose-lose situation. I have listened to more political leaders and their press conferences over the length of the pandemic than I have at any other point in my life, and the truth is that they seem to make no one happy. It would be better for the politicians and governments if COVID-19 were something dreamed up by Stephen King and restricted to one of his novels, so I don't see why governments would create it. There is just no upside. Besides, the politicians of this world don't seem to be able to agree on anything; how did they ever agree on something like a pandemic. But, I guess it is possible?

Do the mRNA vaccines make you magnetic? News anchors scoff at the idea. And yes, I have tried to stick metal to my skin, including my vaccination site, and nothing sticks, at least not to me. Does that mean anything? Maybe; maybe not?

I don't want to challenge your beliefs, but maybe we need to give ourselves room to disagree with grace, even over things we think are essential. Perhaps we need to, at the very least, be willing to listen and inclined to disagree without anger. I don't understand what some of my friends believe, and they don't understand what I believe. Maybe, in some of these areas, that is okay, at least, for a while.

Bildad is offended that Job does not accept the wisdom that is being presented by the friends. He doesn't understand why Job does not consent and decide to change his ways. But as much as the advice of b's friends makes sense to them, Job can't get his head around it. It doesn't make sense to him; it doesn't feel real. In essence, they have been calling Job stupid, but when Job returns the same attitude to them, they feel insulted. There is no grace and no room for disagreement. Both sides believe that the other side is wrong, and they cannot conceive of a world where they are wrong.

Of course, the reader knows that there is more than enough wrong to go around in the story. No one is right, at least not until God speaks.

Is it possible that that is the truth in our lives? That, whatever the situation, we are just people who are waiting for God to speak.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 19

No comments:

Post a Comment