Tuesday 13 July 2021

Are you the first man ever born? Were you brought forth before the hills? – Job 15:7

Today's Scripture Reading (July 13, 2021): Job 15

Author David Meier is given credit for coining the phrase that "we don't know what we don't know," and that might be the most dangerous of our knowledge deficits. We know what we know, and we love to spend time in that arena because we feel that we can offer something to the conversation. Although we might not like to admit it, we also know what we don't know or the areas of knowledge where we are weak. I am weak in some areas of home repair, and I know it. I am not a good handyman, and so I realize that I have to rely on others who have more expertise in that area. The list of things that I don't know is longer than the list of what I do know; I know that there are many things that I don't understand in those areas.

But there are also areas in which I don't know what it is that I don't know, and that is where I am in the most trouble. In these areas, I don't realize that I am weak, or even worse, I might think I know more than I really understand. We all have these areas of dangerous deficit where we don't know what we don't know.

Eliphaz the Temanite begins his second round of criticism, and part of the criticism is that Eliphaz is convinced that Job doesn't know what he doesn't know. It is this area of deficit that has left Job in a critical situation. And Eliphaz believes that part of the solution to Job's circumstances is that the Prophet needs to take a step back and admit that there are things that Job doesn't know and things that the Prophet doesn't know that he doesn't know.

Later, God would ask the same question of Job and his friends.

"Who is this that obscures my plans
    with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man;
    I will question you,
    and you shall answer me (Job 38:2-3).

The problem is that both Job and his friends end up talking about things about which they don't have any understanding, but areas where they think that they know. God will confront Job about the things that Job believes he knows, but places where the Prophet is actually in error. But he will also engage Eliphaz on the same issue. You don't know what you don't know, so maybe it is time to settle down and learn from the one who knows the answers to your questions. But to learn, first, you have to be willing to be quiet and listen. 

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 16

No comments:

Post a Comment