Monday 26 July 2021

Job continued his discourse: - Job 29:1

Today's Scripture Reading (July 26, 2021): Job 29

Woody Allen once quipped that "God is silent. Now, if only man would shut up." And once again, there is more truth in the statement than we might want to admit. The problem is that we often interpret silence as simply the absence of sound. But silence is not just the absence of words; it is the absence of a message spoken through the instruments or the beat of the drum or the cacophony of the world. Silence can be viewed as the absence of meaning.

Yet, if we believe that, then we are still mistaken. Silence itself can carry an important message. Woody Allen's comment, if it is true, could likely be rephrased as, "God is silent because humans won't shut up." Why should he speak when he knows that we aren't listening?

Hebrew poetry often includes the word "Selah." For readers of the New International Version, you are robbed of the word because the translators decided to omit it, likely because we don't really know what it means. But our best guess is that it is a musical term that probably indicates a "pause" or "silence" in the presentation of the poem. Consider Psalm 3 with the Selah's restored. The context of the Psalm is the moment when David was forced to flee from his son Absalom when Absalom tried to become King.

Lord, how many are my foes!
    How many rise up against me!
Many are saying of me,
    "God will not deliver him."

Selah [Pause]

But you, Lord, are a shield around me,
    my glory, the One who lifts my head high.

 I call out to the Lord,
    and he answers me from his holy mountain.

Selah [Pause]

I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I will not fear though tens of thousands
    assail me on every side.

Arise, Lord!
    Deliver me, my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
    break the teeth of the wicked.

From the Lord comes deliverance.
    May your blessing be on your people.

Selah [Pause] (Psalm 3).

It is important to note that the Psalm doesn't properly end until after the pause that follows the final word. The reading of the Psalm should end with the reader standing silent for a moment before leaving the stage or moving on to the next reading.  The pauses are essential, partially because they allow us time to consider the words and time for God to speak through the silence offered by the Psalmists. 

Job 29 begins with the comment that Job continued his discourse. The Prophet has just finished his speech on wisdom, and it seems likely that he fell into a moment of silence at that point. His friends had finished speaking, and Job had concluded his response. The silence was an opportunity for a reset. It allowed everyone involved in the conversation to consider what had been said. And when Job would begin again, it would not be to convince his friends of what was happening, but instead, a moment for a personal statement of how the Prophet is feeling and how he understands all that has occurred. 

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Job 30

No comments:

Post a Comment