Wednesday 27 February 2019

Jonathan attacked the Philistine outpost at Geba, and the Philistines heard about it. Then Saul had the trumpet blown throughout the land and said, “Let the Hebrews hear!” – 1 Samuel 13:4


Today’s Scripture Reading (February 27, 2019): 1 Samuel 13

French author Antoine de Saint-Exupéry argues that “I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings.” Words can be misleading. I have to admit that there have been times in my life that I have argued things I did not believe. It is a process that probably started back in school when I was learning the art of the debate and randomly assigned subjects and positions that I was expected to defend, whether or not I personally supported the position. It was then that I learned the power of seeing a subject through the eyes of someone else, and finding understanding by walking in their shoes. I found out that I could argue a side of an argument and not actually live my life as if I believed it.

It is one major challenge in this medium. If all that you know about me is found in the words that I write, then you really don’t know what I believe. The ones who know me are the ones who are willing to read my words and watch my actions. And it is in the actions of my life that the truth is revealed. I hope that the words that I write, and speak, match the actions of my life. But that verdict will have to be left to the ones who get to watch me live my life.

Israel existed in an uneasy peace with the cities of the Philistines. Essentially, they had become the subjects of Philistia. As long as they realized that their place in the world was under the thumb of the Philistines, then there would be peace. But if they stepped out of line, that peace would end.

Saul, as the King of Israel, exists as a subject to the Philistines for a time. But it is apparent that there is an expiry date on his willingness to live as a subject nation to a foreign power. But it is interesting how Saul sends the message that the time of Israel living as subjects to the Philistines was over, both to the Philistines as well as to the rest of Israel. Saul entrusts his son Jonathan, who had become one of the nations great military generals, to attack the Philistine outpost at Geba. The attack was largely symbolic. He did not attack into the heartland of Philistia. It was an outpost. But without speaking a word, Saul had sent the message that the time of Israel living as the subjects of the Philistines was over. The Philistines woke up to the fact that they had a problem and following the attack Saul sent out a message to all of Israel, asking them to come and support the war of independence that was about to begin.

He could have sent out the message before the attack. But then spies would have told the Philistines of the King’s plan, and the people would have asked the question as to whether the King was really serious about the proposed conflict. With Jonathan’s campaign, both the Philistines and the inhabitants of Israel knew that King Saul was serious about his intention to remove Israel from under the thumb of the Philistines.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 14

No comments:

Post a Comment