Tuesday 7 August 2018

So Joseph bought all the land in Egypt for Pharaoh. The Egyptians, one and all, sold their fields, because the famine was too severe for them. The land became Pharaoh’s … Genesis 47:20


Today’s Scripture Reading (August 7, 2018): Genesis 47

I recently underwent a stress test, evaluating the condition of my heart. It is something that most of us have to suffer through at some point in our lives; the endless tests of our medical system trying to evaluate our health and predict, at least a little for those who want to insure us, when we are likely to die. According to the cardiologist, that point of death is still a bit into the future, at least if it is my heart that is going to take my life from me. My heart is fine.

Which is a little surprising. I haven’t always been nice to my body. While I am getting better, I still don’t treat my body with the respect it is probably due. I have friends, who are my approximate age, who are beginning to watch their health suffer. A running joke among a group of us is that we have no retirement plans. With the amount that we have saved in our retirement accounts, we are going to have to work well past our sixties and, at least, into our seventies. But that only works if our health holds. Although he didn’t need to, my father-in-law worked, at least part-time, until he was admitted into the hospital in his mid-eighties with the disease that would claim his life a couple of weeks later. What is the difference between him and some of my friends who are experiencing health issues and are not yet even closing in on their eighties? I am not sure that I know the answer.

Except maybe that everything is God’s. It is a truth against which we want to wrestle. The trap is to believe that the things that I own are mine because I am the one who worked hard for what I have achieved. And while that is partially true, the ability is given to us to work hard, and the aptitude with which we conduct our jobs is something that belongs only to God. We are blessed when our health us good and we are productive in our jobs. While there are things that we can do to increase our riches and maintain our health, the truth is that we are not the originators of all of our opportunities, and genetics, which is beyond our control, has a voice in the reality of how long we might live. Even self-made people have had the benefit of opportunities that were not within their ability to control.

And what might be that the best illustration of this principle is found in Joseph’s Egypt. Pharaoh had come through for his people, keeping the people alive in Egypt and the surrounding nations when the great famine raked the land. But that help came at a price. By the end of the famine, everything, at least in Egypt, belonged to Pharaoh. Now, it appears that Joseph had no intention of making the lives of the people miserable, but the reality that the people couldn’t escape was that Pharaoh owned everything. The cost for working the land, owned by the Pharaoh, with seed, also owned by the Pharaoh, would be twenty percent, actually not a bad rate of taxation. But the truth of life in Egypt, as life returned to normal, was that none of the land belonged to the people.

Our lives are no our own, no matter how much we may want to pretend that they are. Our days are numbered, and all that God asks of us is to do the best with the opportunities that he gives to us. Take care of your health and maximize the difference that you can make on this planet. After all, that is precisely Joseph’s story. He made the most of his opportunities, and the result was that he was in a position to give his family the best that he had to give.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 48

No comments:

Post a Comment