Saturday 14 May 2016

Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground. – Psalm 143:10



Today’s Scripture Reading (May 14, 2016): Psalm 143

What is heaven? Our answers to that simple question seem to be so varied, probably because none of us have ever experienced the place. There is simply no empirical study that can be commissioned, no spies that can be sent into that foreign territory to bring us back the definitive answer. And so, some of us believe in a heaven, and some don’t. At several times in my life, I have to admit that I have been absolutely terrified by the idea of heaven. When I was younger, preachers made heaven sound like Sunday at a Camp Meeting. I always hated Sunday at Camp. Back when I was growing up Sunday meant I had to attend three church services and every one of them seemed to go a lot longer than was truly necessary. And if you could scam a few minutes between the services for something worthwhile (like play), all of the worthy activities were on the banned list. I remember sneaking off with some older kids with vehicles to the local town near the camp just so that we could have the opportunity to play some Sunday afternoon football – an activity that was banned at the camp because Sunday was “the day of rest.” If this was heaven, then, really, why bother? I mean, I don’t want to go to hell, but is it possible there is a third option - like just let me sleep.

When I was a little older I had a friend who was convinced that heaven was a place where all of our pleasure pursuits were available – forever. If you like to boat, there would be this great lake and you would have the boat that you need to take advantage of it. If golf was your thing, there were going to be some of the best golf courses available for you to play. For my friend, golf was his thing. And, as we played, he would hit a shot that sliced into the trees, or muffed a shot that headed for the sand bunker instead of the green, and he was sure that in heaven he would be a much better golfer and that those shots just wouldn’t happen. But I have to admit that that didn’t sound much better to me than the Camp Meeting version of heaven. Maybe I am just too competitive, but there is a sweet feeling when you get that golf shot right, or when you hit that basketball three-pointer perfectly connecting with nothing but net, or when you throw that perfect spiral through the hands of a defender into the arms of your receiver for the winning touchdown. If every shot or throw was perfect, wouldn’t you lose that feeling? I can imagine coming home from a golf game with your significant other asking the question – so, how did you do? And the answer is that you shot an amazing twenty under par – just as you did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that. And to me, that sounds – boring.  

As with many of the Psalms, it appears that this Psalm of David was written during the time of Absalom’s rebellion against his father. And probably, in this moment, David is dreaming of a boring heaven that he can walk into, one without intrigue and adventure. For this moment in time, he has had enough of all of that – he just needs some rest and uninterrupted sleep. And so he prays that God would lead him onto level ground. But I can’t believe that the David I read about in the Bible would have been happy with that for long. He would need some sort of challenge in order to move into the future. For the moment, he needs peace. Just like every summer I enjoy my week or two on the beach. But I think David needs more than just an existence on a level plain. I know that I do.

This verse presents us with two childlike requests. Teach me, so that I can do things right. And lead me, so that I can work in the proper direction. A child might ask for the obstacles to be removed, but in the end, he/she will be much stronger if they have to fight through them in the proper direction. I don’t think that this is a prayer asking God for all of the answers, but it is a request to be put on the right path toward accomplishing something that is important. In the Absalom conflict, David had been sidetracked, but now it was time to get back to work.

I sincerely hope that heaven is structured in a similar way. My prayer is not for a heaven where all of the obstacles have been removed, but rather a heaven which exists on the level plain, and maybe for the first time in our lives, we can clearly set ourselves toward accomplishing the things that are really important.  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 144

No comments:

Post a Comment