Thursday 5 May 2016

Praise the LORD, you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word. – Psalm 103:20




Today’s Scripture Reading (May 5, 2016): Psalm 103

So much of human communication sometimes seems to be nothing more than guesswork. Last week, when the U.S.S. Stennis and the accompanying American naval vessels attempted to make a port call in Hong Kong, China refused to give permission for the stop. An American Naval group making a port call in Hong Kong is not an uncommon occurrence and the Pentagon says that they have a long track record of successful port visits to Hong Kong. But when asked why China refused in this instance, American authorities seemed to be mystified. Yes, there is growing tension between the U.S. and China over Chinese expansion in the South China Sea, but apparently nothing that the U.S. officials believe would warrant this action. The same is true for recent interaction between the U.S. and Russian military planes. What Russia calls normal the U.S. regards as dangerous actions on behalf of the Russian military. And as outsiders, we can only guess at the communication that the nations might be trying to send to each other – or how serious they might be.

It is also true with our own interpersonal communication. So much of the conflict that comes across my desk is actually misunderstood or misapplied communication. Someone says something that someone else takes in a wrong way. Maybe it is just part of the fall. Maybe in the garden, we understood each other – and God – better. But today our communications skills, and even the communication skills of the ones who we might call experts, are seriously lacking. Assumptions are made that should never be made. We don’t understand each other. Especially when understanding is absolutely essential.

If it is possible that our communication struggles are a result of the fall, then maybe the communication between God and the angels is different. I love the 19th-century scholar William Kay’s assessment of the angelic communication. According to Kay, the angels not only execute the actions appropriate from the word spoken from the throne of God, but they are listening so closely that they are “ready to catch the intimation of his will.” When God acts, at least according to Kay, the angels understand the intent and support the will of their king.

I have to admit that I often wish that we had that kind of communication with God. Often I wish I knew God’s cell phone number or that he would text me with the answers to my questions. But, I know that even then I would probably mess up on the message. I would misunderstand, and I would forget that my only real task is to praise the one who loves me, even as the angels gather to sing his praise.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 109

Personal Note: Happy 30th Birthday to my beautiful daughter. I am so glad that you are in my life! – Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment