Monday 11 December 2023

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? – Matthew 6:25

Today's Scripture Reading (December 11, 2023): Matthew 6

We struggle with priorities or what we think should be paramount in our lives. Often, we get those priorities messed up. I am in an ongoing conversation with a friend about what should be important to our faith. For my friend, the answer is simple: the ritual is essential. Get Baptized, call God and Jesus by the appropriate names (he opts for Yahweh and Yeshua), say the magic words (here he loses me a bit because I am not sure what the magic words might be), drink wine (preferably Jewish wine) in our Communion celebrations, among many other rituals, and you will be saved. But his priority is on the things that he does.

I have never been very good at the rituals of the faith. I understand that for my friend, part of the stress on ritual arises out of the knowledge that for most of his life, he ignored God or even walked against his will. As a result, he worries that he hasn't done enough to earn his salvation, although I am sure that is not how he would describe it. My friend wakes up at night wondering what other acts of penance he can perform to make himself worthy of God.

The problem is that worry has a way of focusing us on the wrong things. That is probably why Jesus instructs his followers not to worry. Worry often tempts us to go down the wrong paths. Worry lies and too often deceives us to the extent that it becomes difficult to know right from wrong.

There is a well-worn story of a businessman who wanted to reward himself for a business that was going well. And so he decides to buy himself a Jaguar.

The day he picked up his shiny new car, he decided to drive it to his appointments. His regular route would have been to go downtown, but the taxi drivers there were insane, and he didn't want to risk something bad happening to his car, so he decided to take a longer route. He was traveling down narrow residential streets when a brick suddenly came out from between two parked cars. The businessman slammed on the brakes and jumped out of his vehicle, understandably angry at the destruction committed against his new prize. The new Jaguar now sported a brand-new dent and scratch on the side of the car. The man ran and found a boy and lifted him up, yelling, "Why did you throw that brick at my car?"

The boy shook with fear as he looked at this man and said, "I didn't know what to do. I was supposed to take my brother to my grandmother's, but his wheelchair hit a rut, and it tipped over. My brother is lying on the street in the heat, and I can't get anyone's attention to come and help." The tears started to fill the boy's eyes. "We are in trouble, and I don't know what to do?"

The boy led the businessman to his brother, who was still lying on the hot cement of the summer day. The man helped the boy get his brother back into the wheelchair, made sure that the boy got to his grandmother's, and then went back and looked at his car. And then this businessman made a strange decision. He decided he wasn't going to fix the dent or the scratch. The dent would be a reminder of the day that worry caused him to lose sense of his priority, the day that a piece of metal became more important than a boy in trouble. The day that worry deceived him about what was important in his life.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Matthew 7

No comments:

Post a Comment